Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Tucson (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-tucson-24/)
-   -   Power splutter. (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-tucson-24/power-splutter-17620/)

Tonker 04-22-2019 09:31 AM

Power splutter.

Hi guys. Quite often when I'm driving my 2lt petrol Tucson gives a cough/ splutter, like it wants me to change gear. Most of the time I just power through others if on a slight incline I'll change down. Not sure if it's me being more used to driving BMW or if the Tucson needs a tune up. What do you think.

allegretto 04-22-2019 10:39 AM

When / how many miles ago did it get a tune up? And what exactly had been done at that time?

Tonker 04-22-2019 11:21 AM

Hi Allegretto. I only bought her about a month ago from a garage in Athens. I never had a tune up done in that time. She drives beautifully even when she has that cough. Smooth tick over no gear stick shake.

allegretto 04-22-2019 02:22 PM

I remember, you are living on an island in the Aegean Sea. Makes me jealous.

I am not quite sure what that "cough" is. Is it engine related or transmission related? Does it make a sound or is it just slow to shift? How does the transmission fluid look and smell? How does the engine oil look and smell? How many km are on the odometer?

In general when I buy a used car I go through all the systems and change the fluids and filters unless I have proof it's been done recently. I follow the manufacturer's recommendations to get the correct fluids. I also inspect the air filter and the spark plugs. And I inspect the cabin air filter. My son's '08 Sonata had the original cabin air filter in it. it was nasty! The transmission fluid was black. I did two drain and fill procedures within 2 weeks because drain and fill only replaces about 1/2 of the fluid. The oil was also dark and I put the oil changes on a proper "severe driving conditions" schedule: oil and filter every 3000 miles (about 5000 km) or at least every year. The spark plugs looked new. I only had to tighten the hold downs for the coils (sloppy mechanic!). The brake fluid was dark also and needed replacement.

Tonker 04-22-2019 03:07 PM

The oil and filter plus the air filter were changed prior to me picking it up. I'll check plugs and leads. The cough is not a major problem for me more of a puzzlement. It might just be I need to drive and use the gears properly and not be lazy.

allegretto 04-22-2019 03:33 PM

Is it an automatic or manual? I assumed it's automatic.

Tonker 04-22-2019 05:07 PM

She's manual 2008 with 84000 km on the clock.

allegretto 04-22-2019 05:13 PM

O.k.
Let's focus on the engine. I think you have some hesitation (misfire) going on which could be caused by a number of things.

spark plugs
ignition coils
vacuum leak
dirty injectors
dirty MAF sensor
carbon build up on the intake valves

Are you turning wrenches yourself?

Tonker 04-22-2019 05:25 PM

What an excellent expression. Yes I'll be turning wrenches myself. I'll look tomorrow at the plugs and leads and MAF sensor and go from there.

Tonker 07-01-2019 07:50 AM

Sorry for not finishing this topic. I changed the spark plugs and leads. Cleaned all terminals i thought of and now she's like a two ton spring chicken again. Thanks for your help guys.