Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Tucson Electrical Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Exclamation Tucson Electrical Cuts Out

Hey All,

I recently bought my first Hyundai, a 2017 Hyundai Tucson Sport 1.6T, practically brand new (only 11k miles). My wife and I love the car so far, except for an odd problem we just recently started to experience. Sometimes when driving, it seems like the computer will just reboot itself. This typically happens when taking a turn quickly. Almost as if the G-force from a fast turn is causing something to short out. This "reboot" that happens causes the gas pedal to become unresponsive until the computer is back up, which could be sort of dangerous. Another problem (seems to be related) is that when I went to start the car yesterday, it just wouldn't. I pushed the button to start and the car's computer screen just wacked out. It started to show the normal screen which changed colors and then just shut off. After this, nothing electrical in the car worked. Windows, lights, locks, nothing works. All this leads to believe something that is electrical is loose that is causing these issues.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it could be? Like a loose fuse or relay? I can obviously take the car in to be maintenance, but it'd like to avoid that if it's something super simple causing this. Thanks for the help!

*Update* - Today we've had many more of the same issues. Now, every time we try to start the car up, the screen blinks and then all power is gone to everything. Oddly enough, the only way to fix it is to open the hood and shut it. It's like clockwork. I can't explain this......

Thanks,
Kyndle

Old 06-30-2019, 10:33 PM

Take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it.
Paying lots of money for a vehicle should not include problems.
If you think they will not be able to reproduce the problem then take videos of it as it happens.

Multi- electrical problems suggest that the fuse box is having issues
Could be corrosion or just badly wired.
Would not surprise me to find that it is a totalled car due to some hurricane or flooding.

Hope it is just something simple
Good luck

Old 06-30-2019, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Take it back to the dealership and tell them to fix it.
Paying lots of money for a vehicle should not include problems.
If you think they will not be able to reproduce the problem then take videos of it as it happens.

Multi- electrical problems suggest that the fuse box is having issues
Could be corrosion or just badly wired.
Would not surprise me to find that it is a totalled car due to some hurricane or flooding.

Hope it is just something simple
Good luck
Yep, I understand that. I definitely plan to take it back to the dealership at some point this week (when I can get in). I looked at the carfax before buying the car, it was regularly maintained at the Hyundai dealer and showed no prior damage. I do realize this could be inaccurate, but hoping that's not the case. Hoping whatever this is will be covered on their warranty.

Thanks,
Kyndle

Old 07-04-2019, 07:41 PM

Usually when there is a complete loss of power, the first thing to check are the connections at the battery and the the other end of those cables coming from the battery to the vehicle. Just looking at them does nothing ! You need to remove them one at a time, clean the surfaces where they get bolted to and then reinstall them..

Keep in mind when you remove any one of the battery cables the computer will lose some of its adaptive memory and the car will act funny. Just start it when done and don't touch the throttle pedal for a few minutes to allow the idle to reset. The rest will reset as you drive it.Let us know if this helped you , thanks.

NOTE Remove the negative battery cable from the battery first and leave it off while you do the positive cable terminals ,then last reinstall the negative cable end back on the battery.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:00 PM

Sound Gone. My Tucson 1.6T Ltd doesn't lose power but often loses sound. Randomly when I turn on the car everything works fine except even though the radio turns on there's no volume. No matter what you do it won't change that problem. The fix is to turn the car off. Let it sit for 5 minutes and turn it back on and everything is OK.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:39 PM

Suppose we look at some of the possible causes for something like this.

We know power is getting to the radio so because it stays on and just loses the sound. Starting with the inside of the radio, there could be a faulty connection or component in which case removal might be required.
If there was a poor or loose connection with the antenna , that could be a possibility.
If there was a problem with the wiring to the speakers, that could be a possibility.
Not knowing if anything was added or altered with the sound system could be another possibility
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, where do you think you want to start?

Old 07-11-2019, 09:46 AM
Exclamation Ix35 starter problem

I am new to this form,
i can not figure out how to post a problem yet. So hope someone can help.
I started my ix35 2014 today then shortly turned it off but could not remove the keyor restart it . Disconnected battery checked it the indicator is green so says battery is good. Re inserted key tried again.. lights came on but will not turn over and my key is locked in the switch again.. the wheel is also locked.. help

Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 PM

Go to the proper forum and click on new topic.

When you have this issue, try moving the gear selector through the gears and then put it in park
Look to see if the indicator shows that it is in park.
Put in neutral if it doesn't start and try.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:49 AM

I have previously had issues with my chevy silverado that were similar to this and it was related to the battery terminal connections. It was a side post battery and for some reason my negative terminal bolt would not get a good connection every few days and needed to be tightened. I had to do this like clockwork and even after replacing the terminal bolts it still would happen.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by KyndleK
Hey All,

I recently bought my first Hyundai, a 2017 Hyundai Tucson Sport 1.6T, practically brand new (only 11k miles). My wife and I love the car so far, except for an odd problem we just recently started to experience. Sometimes when driving, it seems like the computer will just reboot itself. This typically happens when taking a turn quickly. Almost as if the G-force from a fast turn is causing something to short out. This "reboot" that happens causes the gas pedal to become unresponsive until the computer is back up, which could be sort of dangerous. Another problem (seems to be related) is that when I went to start the car yesterday, it just wouldn't. I pushed the button to start and the car's computer screen just wacked out. It started to show the normal screen which changed colors and then just shut off. After this, nothing electrical in the car worked. Windows, lights, locks, nothing works. All this leads to believe something that is electrical is loose that is causing these issues.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what it could be? Like a loose fuse or relay? I can obviously take the car in to be maintenance, but it'd like to avoid that if it's something super simple causing this. Thanks for the help!

*Update* - Today we've had many more of the same issues. Now, every time we try to start the car up, the screen blinks and then all power is gone to everything. Oddly enough, the only way to fix it is to open the hood and shut it. It's like clockwork. I can't explain this......

Thanks,
Kyndle
Hello!

Did you or anyone else find a fix for this? I am currently experiencing all the issues you stated in your message in my new 2017 Hyundai: media system “reboots”, gas pedal/acceleration failure, and today the entire car would not turn on (buttons on the key fob were unresponsive too)! After about five minutes, I tried turning the key again and it was back to normal.

There are no warning lights or error codes and so far we have had no luck identifying the cause. Hoping you or someone had some luck finding a solution?! Thanks so much!

Last edited by eryncaffrey; 06-12-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Tucson Electrical Cuts Out