Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Turbo sucking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Default Turbo sucking noise

Hi Guys just joined after the Mrs bought a 2006 2.0 CRTD GSI.

Its been great so far however its only been used in and around town, but we have just used it for a long motorway journey so its been the first time ive had a chance to open it up.

While driving on the motorway and accelerating there is a really loud sucking / blowing noise ( i cant make up my mind which) but it is definitely like a air intake noise from the turbo. my thoughts are a split hose of pipe somewhere.
After driving it for a while i got used to it and could almost turn the noise on and off depending on the position of the accelerator.

Also im not convinced the power, acceleration or torque is that great.

I've took a look at the intake pipes and i think they are not secured at each end either with clips or zip ties. is this normal?

Having only driving this Tucson i have no other comparison.

Anyone care to comment if this is normal or not and if not am i on the correct path with leaking intake hoses?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Default Anyone? is this sound normal? hello?

Anyone? is this sound normal? hello?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

I don't understand the problem. You're driving a turbo car and you don't like the sound of the turbo?

Old 11-05-2014, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by NovaResource
I don't understand the problem. You're driving a turbo car and you don't like the sound of the turbo?
No, the noise is not the turbo, its a very loud wind noise as if there is a leak in the intake pipe to the turbo. What im asking is this normal?

My other car is a turbo also and yes you can here the turbo but not the wind being sucked in to it.

Also as stated in the rest of my post im not convinced the power is as it should be which would related back to not enought boost from turbo.

I have never driven a turbo car thats had this amount of intake noise and ive also never driven any other Hyundai, this is why im asking if its normal to on the Tucson.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:51 AM
Default Turbo sucking noise

Did you sort this as I've just had my turbo replaced, now there is a lot of air noise and total loss of power ?!
Originally Posted by k3vlr781
Hi Guys just joined after the Mrs bought a 2006 2.0 CRTD GSI.

Its been great so far however its only been used in and around town, but we have just used it for a long motorway journey so its been the first time ive had a chance to open it up.

While driving on the motorway and accelerating there is a really loud sucking / blowing noise ( i cant make up my mind which) but it is definitely like a air intake noise from the turbo. my thoughts are a split hose of pipe somewhere.
After driving it for a while i got used to it and could almost turn the noise on and off depending on the position of the accelerator.

Also im not convinced the power, acceleration or torque is that great.

I've took a look at the intake pipes and i think they are not secured at each end either with clips or zip ties. is this normal?

Having only driving this Tucson i have no other comparison.

Anyone care to comment if this is normal or not and if not am i on the correct path with leaking intake hoses?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-20-2017, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mearnsy;52800o
Did you sort this as I've just had my turbo replaced, now there is a lot of air noise and total loss of power ?!
Yeah I did I stripped down all of the piping from turbo to intercooler and up to the intake and cleaned it all up. Checking for splits in the rubber parts. It ended up that one of the securing clips that go round the rubber pipes on to the steel pipes was not seated correct. Fixed that and noise went away and power increased.

​​​​​​​Hope this helps

Old 05-20-2017, 10:38 AM

Thanks, my mechanic says it's an air hose come loose so he's looking at it tomorrow. Should be ok then I hope.