Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Tuscon 2008 – Crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Default Tuscon 2008 – Crank no start

I have a Tucson 2008, manual, 2L, gas – no diesel, 115,000 km, with crank no start issues. I am in Montreal, Canada

I have enough fuel in the tank, I have full battery.

I did a bit a troubleshooting with a friend after my neighborhood garage replaced the upper fuel sensor (I think for nothing). Following the fuel sensor replacement the car worked for 4 days and now I have again the same problem.

I have no spark and no fuel symptom.

We checked a partial diagram and see a 15A fuse that feeds in the same time the fuel pump and the ignition.

There are 2 fuses (top left corner) one with 15A and one with 10A for start and ignition if I recall well have just 0.31 A instead of 12A. Not sure where the difference in the values above is coming from.

All the connections inside the fuse box are clean, no rust.

My friend tested the fuel relay and it looks ok.

I checked and screw and unscrew few places where I saw some ground connections with no success. He checked almost every electric piece related to this and they all seems to be ok.

The friend helping me with this would like to see a full electrical diagram showing the grounding points for everything linked with the ignition and start. We suspect a bad ground connection somewhere.

Any idea where I can find this and – or how else someone can help me? What else I should look for?

Old 05-04-2017, 01:32 PM

N spark and no fuel pints to a crankshaft position sensor.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 AM

Thanks avisitor,

Before looking to the cranckshaft, we did a last end-to-end physical check-up and I think we found the problem

Where I did a mistake:
When I cheched the physical integrity of the fuse - relay box under the hood I removed and verified the pins of only 2 relays: Start relay and Fuel pump relay. They were clean.

BUT after finding some electrical diagrams online we realised that we do not have the right tensions everywhere so we decided to remove and inspect all the fuses and relays starting with the one called MAIN. And that one was rusted!!! On the diagrams it was called Engine Control Relay. (If it should have been labelled that way I might checked it the 1st time).

As soon as we short-circuit it, the car started.

Now I will just remove the whole relay support, clean it well, clean the pins of all relays and put it back.

I'll also check if I can insulate better the box and maybe apply a protective vaseline coat on the places where the wires are grounded

I hope this will help someone

Let me know

Old 05-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Wow, good catch on that one.
Usually, the first thing to do is to check all the fuses
(which I thought you did)
Then check powers and grounds to essential items

Thanks for coming back and giving us the update and fix.