Hyundai Veracruz This crossover combines the functionality of a minivan in a sleek exterior with luxury qualities.

2009 vera cruz problem with rear hatch door

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM
cds
Default 2009 vera cruz problem with rear hatch door

I'm having problems opening and closing the rear hatch. The auto open/close buttons, including the one on my remote, only works about 30% of the time. Anyone else have this issue, or know what the problem might be?

Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

First, it's Veracruz (one word, like the Mexican City and State), not Vera Cruz (two words).

What exactly is happening? Does it try to open and just not open all the way or does it do nothing? Does the door open manually? is the ON/OFF button in the glove box on or is something pressing it and turning it off? Are you trying to open the hatch while in gear (shifter must be in PARK to operate)? Do you live in a very cold climate? Is there a lot of snow/ice on the door? Are the batteries in the remote new or old?

Last edited by NovaResource; 02-16-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:59 AM
cds
Default cds

The batteries in the remote are fairly new. There are 2 buttons on the car itself to open the hatch, one on the dash (not in the glove box) and the other is on the edge of the hatch itself. When I push one of these buttons to open or close it, I can hear it trying to open, but it doesn't move at all. We live in Virginia, and we have had an extremely cold winter. I have wondered if the temp had something to do with this malfunction since it doesn't happen all the time. And, we do always have the car in park when trying to operate the hatch. It will open manually.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

There is a switch in the glove box that turns the system on and off. It doesn't open or close the door. But if you hear the motor trying, I would say it's probably the cold.

One of the problems with the power hatch is the special support struts. I also have a 2006 Kia Sedona minivan (twin of the Hyundai Entourage) with the power rear hatch and it had a problem opening in cold weather. I had to replace the struts to fix the problem. Be warned, they aren't cheap.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:42 PM
Default Ever solved?

Did you ever solve the intermittent issue with the rear hatch? I've got a 2007 Veracruz that started doing same thing. About 10% of the time it won't open with the dash button, fob button and the manual on the hatch. When I press the dash button or fob button the lights flash but no beeps and no open.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:47 AM

There has to be a little pressure from the struts to make the door move when release is chosen. Considering a 2007, sounds like a good possibility the struts gave lost internal pressure.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:14 PM
Default Thank you

That makes perfect sense. Had a similar problem with a Sebring trunk lift and new struts solved that too. Thanks for pointimg me to the solution.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tjordan
That makes perfect sense. Had a similar problem with a Sebring trunk lift and new struts solved that too. Thanks for pointimg me to the solution.
Hi, Tjordan,
Did the replacement of struts solve the problem?
Because I have the same problem (sometimes tailgate opens/closes using button, sometimes it doesn't) and a tecnician told me that the motor (of powered tailgate) may be defective.
Thanks.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Yang
Hi, Tjordan,
Did the replacement of struts solve the problem?
Because I have the same problem (sometimes tailgate opens/closes using button, sometimes it doesn't) and a tecnician told me that the motor (of powered tailgate) may be defective.
Thanks.
No, wasn't the struts and the motor was fine. If it works intermittently then it is a grounding problem. After 3 trips to the dealer they finally pulled the trim panels so they could follow the wiring from dash panel button back to the door. They found 3 ground points that were loose. Check the wiring.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:23 AM
Default Hyundai Veracruz tailgate power not working.

Originally Posted by cds
I'm having problems opening and closing the rear hatch. The auto open/close buttons, including the one on my remote, only works about 30% of the time. Anyone else have this issue, or know what the problem might be?
I recently have the same issue with my 2019 veracruz. The problem was right side A/Pinch weatherstrip sensor was bad. Part No.: 83140-3J100
W/STRIP ASSY-T/GATE replaced it and my tailgate is working properly again.

Quick Reply: 2009 vera cruz problem with rear hatch door