Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums

Hyundai Forum - Hyundai Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/)
-   Hyundai Veracruz (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-veracruz-44/)
-   -   Key Fob won't turn (https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyundai-veracruz-44/key-fob-wont-turn-13274/)

Tweedy-07 12-15-2012 02:14 PM

Key Fob won't turn

I have a 2008 Veracruz. From time to time the key fob will not turn (car won’t start). The steering wheel and gear shift are locked. After playing with it for a while it may turn with or without the key in it. The problem is happening more frequently and I have had the car towed to the dealer 4 times because I could not get to key fob to work at all. Each time the dealer plays with the key until the car starts and then states there is no problem “they are all like that”?
Anyone having this problem or any suggestions.

NovaResource 12-15-2012 06:06 PM

First, it's one word (Veracruz), not two (Vera Cruz). Like the Mexican city and state.

Second, the reason the key isn't turning is because the steering wheels is locked. The wheel only locks when it's turned after removing the key. When that happens, the interlock between the wheel and the ignition cylinder puts pressure on the ignition cylinder making it hard to turn. To release the pressure you must turn the wheel slightly (one way or the other) so the pressure on the ignition cylinder is released.

Tweedy-07 12-17-2012 09:07 AM

First, thank you I will watch the auto correction a little closer. Unfortunately that was not the problem and it was necessary to have the car towed (again). This time the mechanic could not turn the key. They are having a “meeting” about it today. Hopefully problem will finally be resolved. Thank again

NovaResource 12-17-2012 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tweedy-07 (Post 44981)
First, thank you I will watch the auto correction a little closer.

LOL! I hate that feature.

Originally Posted by Tweedy-07 (Post 44981)
Unfortunately that was not the problem and it was necessary to have the car towed (again). This time the mechanic could not turn the key. They are having a “meeting” about it today. Hopefully problem will finally be resolved. Thank again

Is this an original key or a copy? Maybe it's a poorly cut key or the ignition cylinder needs a little graphite lubricant.

mrhooked 05-06-2013 04:25 PM

DId your problem ever get resolved. I am experiencing the same problem.

Vic Hyundai...Veracruz owner 09-23-2013 11:38 PM

If its the wireless FOB/start...try replacing the battery. When the battery gets low it will cause the same issue.

If thats not it...try straightening the wheel before you turn it off. Apart from a low battery, I never have a problem starting but my wife has it a lot. I finally was in the car and found out she would pull in a space and just turn the car off. To release it she would have to jiggle the wheel. But once its locked, you have to wait about 15 minutes for the anti-theft to release. So she would jiggle..and by the time I got there, the ati theft released and I always looked like a hero.

mrhooked 09-24-2013 07:38 AM

Faulty FOB

It could also be corrosion on the circuit board or battery terminals in the FOB. Will happen if moisture/liquid gets into FOB.

Recently could not start car with FOB in my pocket. Also could not start when I inserted FOB into ignition switch. Batteries for both FOBs had been replaced a month earlier by dealer. Had someone bring my wife's FOB to me and car started immediately. Took my wife's FOB some distance away from car and could not start it. Reversed FOB locations and car started again with wife's FOB in car. Took car and both FOBs to dealer who verified that my FOB was defective and replaced mine under warranty.

Erichshonda 09-28-2013 06:53 AM

Have had this problemas well on a few customer vehicles , in most cases when the car is parked especially when wheel is touching against parking stone this puts everything in a bind. Like nova source stated try releasing pressure off steering wheel. Also as stated above a weak battery will cause issues. If none of these help the vehicle need to be scanned for immobilizer faults