New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

I bought a Used Elantra What now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Default I bought a Used Elantra What now?

Hello All,

so i recently bought a used hyundai Elantra 2015 SE with style package. My question is what should i do now? I want to schedule a service to hyundai but kind of skeptical because this is my first time they might say alot of stuff that i dont know. Theyre charging $160 for diagnosis and i found 2 recalls when i enter the VIN but not major they will fix it for free (they said). The car has 29000 miles on it and its running good, please let me know what should i do to take care of my car, should i trust the hyundai mechanic? Am i paying more? Appreciate yall!

Old 09-07-2017, 12:01 AM

Do the recalls because they should be free of charge
Other stuff, take time to think it through before deciding who to take it to get work done
Check coolant, oil, brakes, ATF, power steering .. fluids

Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 AM

Recalls are always free. You should definitely get those done because they could be safety related (although sometimes they are not, but again, it's free). Other than that, just make sure you're changing your oil at regular intervals just like any other car. Just make sure wherever you bring it to uses the right size filter, and replaces the o-ring on the oil drain bolt. At that mileage, you really don't need much else. Your dealer should provide a multi-point inspection (MPI) when you go in for the recalls. When you look at this MPI, check the status of your tires first, and follow whatever recommendation the technician makes for them. Other things that might show up at this mileage may be things like air filters, wiper blades, battery, etc. Other than that, you might be asked if you want to do various fluid flushes. These are good to do every 30,000 miles (except transmission fluid, every 60k) but are not strictly necessary, it's more like preventive maintenance. For instance, coolant does its job for a very long time, but old coolant breaks down and can cause rust to form in the engine, which is never good. But changing it out regularly prevents it from reaching that state.