New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2018 Santa Fe AWD Decision

Old 11-21-2017, 06:54 AM
Default 2018 Santa Fe AWD Decision

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum but hopefully not for long. We are looking at a 2018 Santa Fe Limited Ultimate with AWD. I have searched the web and there are not very many videos or write-ups on how the “Fully Automatic AWD” works. I am not really looking to go 4 wheeling in this vehicle but have three main requirements.

I have a 4000 pound boat and use steep ramps to unload and load. I have seen many FWD vehicles just spin their wheels trying to load a boat on a wet ramp. I will need to do this often.

The second is we spend a lot of time on the beach. I have a 4wd truck that I normally use but would like to be able to drive on the loose sand for a quick day at the beach.

We also make trips to the Colorado Mountains and find ourselves with several inches of snow on the ground when we wake up in the mornings. I have always used 4wd vehicles but this would be my first time with an Automatic AWD.

Can anyone help me decide if the Santa Fe will be a delight or a major disappoint. We have driven one on the road and under normal conditions it drives like a dream.
Thanks in advance for help in the very important investment we am thinking about.

Topcat112

Old 11-23-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

For what you need it will be fine. The AWD system operates like FWD most of the time but when the front wheels start slipping, the rear wheels are engaged. You can lock it in AWD to get all 4 wheels pulling but the AWD-lock only operates up to about 35-mph. After that, the rear disengage until front wheel slip is detected.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the information. This sounds like what we need.