New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cradle Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 07:17 AM
rdp
Default Engine Cradle Issue

For those of you who have had this engine cradle problem.I have a 2000 Sonata GLS V6with 121,000 miles. On Friday June 6th, 2008, I was pulling out of parking spot at a nearby post office in my town (I live in Fairfax, Virginia a suburb of Washington, DC.). Just as I was getting started and going about 15-20mph, the right front just collapsed and the car would not move. The tire was pointing at a weird angle. I was towed to Fairfax Hyundai and the next day, the Service Manager told me that it was the engine cradle and the tie rod. The tie rod snapped because the attachments to the engine cradle had rotted away. He also said he was in discussions with Hyundai after he ordered the part (which was scheduled to be delivered the next day). I didn’t know what he meant by “in discussions” until I went online and found out about all the complaints filed with NHTSA and Consumer Groups about this issue. I expect this to be paid for by Hyundai since this is a known safety issue and all models affected by these complaints should be recalled and at least inspected for wear and corrosion.
I have given this car all required oil changes etc and other required maintenance services on time for the 8 years I’ve owned it. I am the original owner.

Any routine examination of the car would have shown this corrosion, but I was not informed of this problem until I had a serious incident.

According to Hyundai, the partwas on back order, they found an excuse not to give me a loaner car and are seemingly balking about paying for a rental car. Hyundai Consumer Affairs has stated that I would be contacted by a Regional Representative within 3-5 business days. I contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs and the Hyundai Dealer almost every day looking for status. They have told me everything from they are trying to locate the part at their plant in Alabama to they have spoken to several Parts Managers who are trying to expedite delivery.

The Regional Representative told me they would take care of it and pay for the rental car. It took almost 3 weeks to get the part and get my car back.

I was very lucky that I was not on a main highway when it happened as I could have been seriously hurt or killed.