New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

how many proportioning valves does a 2005 hyundai elantra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 PM
Default how many proportioning valves does a 2005 hyundai elantra?

I'm gonna change them on my car, but I'm not sure if it has only one or it has two.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 PM

Many times folks get incorrect info and wind up replacing perfectly good parts. It is with that in mind that i would like to ask you why you are contemplating replacement of a proportioning valve. They do not usually give any trouble.

Don't know for sure if your vehicle has disc brakes all around or drum brakes in the rear.
Depending on which it has can determine what it uses. Don't forget there is usually a metering valve and a proportioning valve on certain systems. Some have a combination valve that does both. Unless you are sure that will correct the concern, you might want to do a little more research.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:23 AM

Unless you are sure that will correct the concern, you might want to do a little more research.
….or describe to us the symptoms that your brakes display.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Thank you for your response, and I apologize for the short description. Well, I just bought a 2005 Hyundai Elantra gt off someone last week but I notice that under the master cylinder there was leaking going all the way down to the tire's arm. After inspecting everything there, I use a paper towel to tap on the valves(I think those are the proportioning valves) and I notice that fluid was coming out of both of them from the o-rings. I attached some pictures so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Javierpinedo66; 03-25-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:08 PM

Javier, that makes me think that someone either had replaced the master cylinder or tried bleeding the master cylinder and messed up the O-rings and possibly the sealing surfaces as well. The hex on the left connector seems rounded. Beginners tend to use too much force.
Before spending money I would take this apart and inspect the O-rings and the seal surfaces and the threads. Also look for damage on the flange of the line. If you are not familiar with this kind of work I suggest you look at some You-tubes on changing the master cylinder or give it to a professional. After all, brakes are kind of important.

Last edited by allegretto; 03-25-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by allegretto
Javier, that makes me think that someone either had replaced the master cylinder or tried bleeding the master cylinder and messed up the O-rings and possibly the sealing surfaces as well. The hex on the left connector seems rounded. Beginners tend to use too much force.
Before spending money I would take this apart and inspect the O-rings and the seal surfaces and the threads. Also look for damage on the flange of the line. If you are not familiar with this kind of work I suggest you look at some You-tubes on changing the master cylinder or give it to a professional. After all, brakes are kind of important.
Hey allegretto I did what you told me, and you just saved me a bunch of money. I really appreciate your help! The O-rings were messed up. After I replaced them, the leaking stop right away. Thanks again my friend.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:22 PM

You are welcome! And thank you for your feedback!

Happy motoring!