General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Elantra inertia switch? Fuel pump reset?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 02:19 PM
Default 2013 Elantra inertia switch? Fuel pump reset?

Help! I have a 2013 Elantra that hit a sizable rock on the highway. It was low enough to go under the car and not cause any body damage, but it was a hard hit and i can see dents and dings as it roughly followed the exhaust pipe down the center of the car, and struck the fuel tank. There are a few deep scrapes on the tank, not cracks, etc.

the car immediately started to sputter and die, fortunately there was a turn out a couple hundred yards away, which it made it to. After turning the key off, waiting a few minutes and trying to start it, the car cranks but will not turn over. There is no fluid leaking and i cannot see any obvious damage other than the minor dents and dings under the car. The electrical system seems fine, and the OBD scanner doesnt show any codes.

is there an inertia switch on these cars, or some other switch that might need to be reset? i checked the manual but got nothing.

thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:19 PM

Have you gone through the basic checks
fuel, air, spark, timing, exhaust, compression, etc??

Just thinking if one has to start somewhere then the basics should be a place to start
then eventually it should lead you to the real issue.

I just don't see a rock causing a trip of the accident safety circuits
Which if it did then a higher level scanner would be needed so you can read the airbag module
And access the crash sensors.
Regular manuals won't have information in it about inertia safety switch or crash circuits

Old 02-01-2017, 01:19 AM

Yes, everything checks fine. I'm not talking a little rock, I'm talking about a 15 or 20 lb chunk of granite off a mountainside. Probably 14" around and 5" high, hit about 50mph.

After checking fuel supply at the rail (zero), we pulled the rear seat and found the fuel pump was barely pushing a few dribbles.

safe to assume the fuel pump was damaged?
​​​

Old 02-01-2017, 09:45 PM

The fuel pump resides inside the fuel tank.
Was the tank damaged?
If not then maybe the power line or ground is damaged?
Or the line is pinched??