General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cel code p0707

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Default cel code p0707

my cel comes on almost every day on the way home from work in my 2004 accent . the code is p0707 wich is a trans rage sensor? is used to be only when it was extremely hot out,but now it comes on whenever. performance and driveability is not hindered,nothing seems to be wrong other than the light on. what can happen if it is not repaired, and where is it.i am getting tired of clearing the code every day.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Banned

first and foremost you need to check the service info on www.hmaservice.com. use IE, get a free account with them, and download the adobe plugins under site requirements. what you're looking for is under the DTC section. i don't know if you have the 1.5 or the 1.6L engine. its slightly different for both.

generally this sensor takes part in shifting and when the transmission shifts....i can't see it causing any damage should it not be replaced, but i'd look into the cost of a new one anyways. if its failing at some point the car will not drive properly as shifting is affected.

the exact function of this part is to relay what gear the transmission is in to the engine computer (ECU). its not receiving the signal properly so thats why it throws the error code. it could also be a wiring problem, for an easy fix i'd start by checking the connector terminals on the sensor.

here are the possible causes listed by HMA:

● Open or short in circuit
● Faulty Shift cable adjustment
● Faulty Inhibitor switch and Manual control lever position adjustment
● Faulty TRANSAXLE RANGE SWITCH
● Faulty TCM(PCM)

if its just a bad shift cable adjustment, thats an easy fix. again see that web site for details. it will give details on finding the problem and repairing it.

for myself, i like my car running at 100% as i drive a lot. i think you will agree, its much better than being stranded. as driveability is not yet affected, i'd put this into the pile of 'fix sooner or later'. yes i would fix it, its there for a reason but if you can still drive the car you have time to poke around and find the problem and fix it right without spending money on a mechanic. also remember, if the part turns out to be expensive to replace a junkyard is always an option. quite often cars go there for accidents and were working (in a way still are) at 100%. if the part works, why not save some money? certain parts i would not bother but something like this its not exactly common failure.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:56 AM

Replace the range switch (called inhibitor switch on the MICROCAT)... be sure you follow directions on how to adjust it, or you'll have a "NO CRANK" or stupid acting trans..

Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sbr711
Replace the range switch (called inhibitor switch on the MICROCAT)... be sure you follow directions on how to adjust it, or you'll have a "NO CRANK" or stupid acting trans..
before the switch is outright replaced, i think the OP needs to check all adjustment first. would be kinda dumb to replace a switch that works just for bad adjustment...