General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent Howling Noise Engaging 1st or 2nd when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Default Intermittent Howling Noise Engaging 1st or 2nd when cold

Hey folks,
Just trying to see if I can find a little more info or theory's on whats going on before I book into the dealership.

I have a 2010 Tucson GLS 6-speed manual, with 65000km on it. Over the last couple weeks it has intermittently started making a weird howling/resonance sound for a second when engaging 1st or 2nd when cold. The sound appears to come from the front drivers side, somewhere between the clutch and the wheel (it only lasts a second so it is hard to pinpoint). It will only happen a handful of times on a given drive, and seems to happen more often then not in a slightly more 'stressful' start (starting on a hill, or starting in 2nd when moving too slow).

There doesn't seem to be any slipping of the clutch and everything drives fine, and it usually only ever happens in the first 10 minutes of driving. It has been really snowy here (from Calgary) with lots of random warm days making everything slushy, so there is a fair bit of snow/dirt build up on the car (haven't had a chance to wash it yet), so not sure if that could somehow contribute.

Any theories or ideas would be appreciated. Like I said I'm gonna try and get this into the shop soon, was just looking to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks!