General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by ritchep
Either way, I've driven mine 50,000+ miles with no ill effect. But then again, I'm not an expert! Good luck friend.
thanks. do you smell gas too in your car?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 PM

I get an occasional whiff of gas every now and then, but for the most part I don't smell gas.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Can any body tell me were the vapor vent valve is my 00 sonata is throwing up the evap system light and I can't afford to have the mechanic take his time trying to do a smoke test and funding the leak. I did a visual inspection of the lines they all look fine and no rust build up anywere if it was my charcoal canister it would throw up a different code but its nit so I'm pretty its the bait bent native but I can't find out in your diagram

Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Vapor vent valve not bait bent naitive sorry its my phone spell predict

Old 12-18-2011, 02:13 AM
Default 01 sonata fueling problems

iv ebeen having problems fueling my sonata and i took it to get fixed and they replaced the canister, close valve and some other valve. However, i still can't put more than a few cents at a time in. They said the charcoal had come out of my canister and they tried to clear out any from the fuel line that goes to the gas tank. I don't know what else to do and why the probem still persists. do i need to get a new gas tank (which is the final solution that they recommend)? they said the charcoals mikght have gotten into the tank itself so it would need replacing, is this true? please help.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by kburch923
iv ebeen having problems fueling my sonata and i took it to get fixed and they replaced the canister, close valve and some other valve. However, i still can't put more than a few cents at a time in. They said the charcoal had come out of my canister and they tried to clear out any from the fuel line that goes to the gas tank. I don't know what else to do and why the probem still persists. do i need to get a new gas tank (which is the final solution that they recommend)? they said the charcoals mikght have gotten into the tank itself so it would need replacing, is this true? please help.
@kburch923. I feel your pain. The most frustrating thing about this entire "slow-fill" problem is that even the dealers don't know how to fix it! I took my car to two Hyundai dealers at got the same answer: "We'll have to start replacing things and see if we can correct the problem." My Accent is 10 years old and has 174,000 miles on it. I won't be paying a dealer $1,200+ to experiment.

For what it's worth: on my Accent, and probably on your Sonata, there's a 1/2" rubber line that runs from the front of the charcoal canister to a steel line that goes to the top of the fuel fill line. This line is held on by small compression clamps. With a small pair of channel locks you can remove this clamp and dump the charcoal pellets out of this line. I went through this exercise before every fill up for 8-10 fillups, and the problem finally went away. I think it's worth a try before you buy a new gas tank. Again, the repair shops are grasping for straws, at your expense. What year is your Sonata?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ritchep

For what it's worth: on my Accent, and probably on your Sonata, there's a 1/2" rubber line that runs from the front of the charcoal canister to a steel line that goes to the top of the fuel fill line. This line is held on by small compression clamps. With a small pair of channel locks you can remove this clamp and dump the charcoal pellets out of this line. I went through this exercise before every fill up for 8-10 fillups, and the problem finally went away. I think it's worth a try before you buy a new gas tank. Again, the repair shops are grasping for straws, at your expense. What year is your Sonata?
Its a 2001 sonata and i only have like 72,000 miles on it. I know they replaced the canister and the canister close valve and some other canister valve. They also cleared out some kinda fuel line from the charcoal pellets. the next thing they wanted to replace was the filler neck.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Good luck KBurch! The shop is in the "swap parts" mode. I don't fault you for getting it fixed right ... that's the right thing to do. That's the ONLY complaint I have with my car. The charcoal canister design is a poor one that even the experts don't know how to fix.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 AM
Default picture of charcoal filter?

this post is great but i have NO experience in repairs & am clueless. Someone told me that its easy 2 just check the charcoal filter & im wondering if there is a pic of it & where exactly is it located...my accent also is shutting off after 2 gallons and i can barely get it 2 take half a tank....thanks

Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by decalsRus
this post is great but i have NO experience in repairs & am clueless. Someone told me that its easy 2 just check the charcoal filter & im wondering if there is a pic of it & where exactly is it located...my accent also is shutting off after 2 gallons and i can barely get it 2 take half a tank....thanks
Hey Decals,

This post provides quite a few pictures and descriptions of the charcoal canister assembly. To troubleshoot takes only minimal skills, however if you aren't mechanically-inclined I woiuld take it to a mechanic. And take heart! I dumped charcoal pellets out of my vent line for 10-15 fillups, and the problem finally went away. The fuel fill problem is the only complaint I have with my '02 Accent. Other than that, 188,000 miles and going strong, with no major repairs. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Slow Fuel Fill Problem Diagnosis