Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

car cranks over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Default car cranks over but wont start

Hello everyone, I am a newbee here. My parents have a 2001 Hyundai Accent 4 dr. automatic 1.6l engine with 100+k miles. The car was driving fine and they tried to start it but it just cranks. I am not familiar with this car that much but I figured its either a)not getting spark b)not getting fuel c)there may a sensor or computer controlled part of ignition that is malfunctioning d)maybe Im completely wrong. It does have gas in it. I also thought the timing belt or chain may have snapped (I hope not) I dont think it would crank over if that was the case, but Ive been wrong before. Any lead in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 11-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Default RE: car cranks over but wont start

If no spark and no fuel to the engine are evident, the most likely cause is a failed crankshaft rotation sensor. A code scanner connected to the car should be able to extact the error code confirming the problem. Relatively easy and inexpensive fix. If using an aftermarket part, retain the original installation bolt and compare it to the new bolt. If not exactly alike, use the old bolt. If the timing belt has never been changed, it is long overdue (normal service inteval is 60,000 miles).

Old 11-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Ken99,
Thanks for your input.Do you know of any websites where they have exploded views of parts? Kind of like the dealers have where they can pinpoint parts, nuts,bolts,hoses etc ?

Old 11-27-2008, 07:31 PM

http://www.hmaservice.com/

Only works with IE. It is free but does require you to register. Be sure to install the required viewers. This is the same site that Hyundai techs at dealerships access for information.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:16 PM

I will check it out. Thanks

Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 AM

just registered to the above site on the above link, could be very interesting...

just waiting for e-mail to confirm account..

Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 PM

[8D]ok so I checked the fuel pump and filter and they are good and pumping. I replaced spark plugs/wires just because they needed to be changed. I used a multimeter and found that the coils are not getting any juice when cranking. Well actually the #4 on the harness was getting juice. The spark plug does not spark. I tried the old school way as with my old Chevy. I put a spark plug on the wire and tried to shock myself. It didnt work. I am guessing that the coil(s)
need to be replaced, but at $100 a piece I and not a technician by far I would like a second or third opinion. Ken99 had mentioned crankshaft rotation sensor.That makes sense to me. I could not find it on the car because I dont know what it looks like or where it may be. Is there any way of testing either parts ? Thanks for the help !

Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 PM

2001 > Fuel System
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CKP SENSOR)

The crankshaft position sensor, consisted of a magnet and coil, is located next to flywheel. The voltage signal from this crankshaft position sensor is relayed to the ECM to indicate engine RPM and the position of the crankshaft.[/align]

CIRCUIT DIAGRAM

HARNESS INSPECTION PROCEDURES

SENSOR INSPECTION[/align]

1.Disconnect the crankshaft position sensor connector.[/align]

2.Measure the resistance between terminals 1 and 2.[/align]

[hr]0.486 ~ 0.594kΩ at 20°C (68°F)[/align][hr]
3.If the resistance deviates greatly from the standard value, replace the sensor.[/align]

• Standard value[/align]
Clearance between the crankshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor wheel : 0.5 ~ 1.5 mm (0.020 ~ 0.059 in.)[/align]

• Tightening torque[/align]
Crankshaft position sensor :[/align]9 ~ 11 Nm (90 ~ 110 kg·cm, 7 ~ 8 lb·ft)[/align]

[/align]

Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 PM

Would that be the same for a 1.6 DOHC ? I should of mentioned that in my original post. I could not find anything with the fuel system on the hmaservice site
At least I know what to look for now. Thanks !!!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:39 PM

Would that be the same for a 1.6 DOHC ? I should of mentioned that in my original post.
You did mention the engine was the 1.6 DOHC. The engine management systems are the same on both engines, so the service sites only details the sensors under the 1.5 SOHC. Items unique to the 1.6 are listed seperately.

Quick Reply: car cranks over but wont start