Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Anyone Try The B&M Short Shifter Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Default Anyone Try The B&M Short Shifter Kit?

Been eyeing the short shifter kit that Hyundai offers as an accessory for the Accent. I don't really care about shorter throws, but i'm curious if the shifter "feels" better. I believe it comes with different bushings, etc. If you've installed one of these, please share your experience with this. For a little over $100, i'm willing to give it a shot if it improves shifter feel. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM

I'm thinking about putting one in mine, as I don't like the long throw, or the clumsy shift action with the oem shifter, but I'm not expecting a Honda out of it. I will post back if I decide to get it, and let you know how much shifting improved. I figure if it enhances the driving experience of the car, and it's only little over $100, why not?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:06 AM

I'm 6'4" and find that my arm rests comfortably on the arm rest and do actually like the stock height of the shifter. I'm curious just how much lower the B&M is as well as how well it works. If i can still comfortably shift the shorter shifter AND it improves the feel of the shifts, i'm game. Definitely chime in if you go for it.

BTW, i already bought the black/grey leather-wrapped shifter from Hyundai. I found a dealer online that had them for $12. It's a bit smaller than the stock one, but definitely feels more quality than that all plastic one the car came with...

Old 01-13-2011, 07:09 PM

I had to get a leather steering wheel cover, I don't like holding onto hard plastic, that annoyance solved. I just got the cruise control installed, another annoyance solved. I'm going to wait a while before I decide on the B&M shifter kit while I'm still getting used to the stock shifter. Maybe I'll just settle on putting a softer, leather shifter ball on it. So far, I'm even happier with the car now that I have those comfort items in place. Hopefully, the 2012 Accent will have a leather steering wheel option available on more trims, with a leather wrapped shifter, as well as a tighter, more precise shifter/clutch feel.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:12 PM

I found some positive info on this shifter on the Kia forums. I decided to go ahead and buy it. Just waiting for it to arrive. Will report back on how well it works...

Where did you get your cruise and how much? I don't really need it, but i'm curious of the cost and what the finished product looks like.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:38 PM

The dealer installed it for $399, I bought it at the same time I bought the car. The dealer even gave me a free loaner while they installed it. They installed the Rostra cruise control kit. It adds another stalk just below the turn signal stalk. It looked like it would get in the way of my knee, but I have yet to bump it by accident. It has a little green light that comes on when I turn it on, has set/resume/accel/decel buttons. It works great, and holds a nice, steady speed, although I have to change the speed often, since I'm not yet at 1,200 miles.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Default B&M short shifter-improve feel?

Hi,
I just bought a new 2011 accent GL manual. I just can't get used to the way the shifting feels. I am used to my old manual honda civic which is much smoother rather than the hyundai shifting that feels bumpy as I shift, as though its going through notches between gears. I obviously don't have a good understanding of how the transmission/gears work or what this difference is, but could someone explain what this is that I'm feeling and if its just part of having an inexpensive car. Also, will the short shifter improve this feel?Thanks so much, any explanation is appreciated!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 AM

I started another thread about tranny fluid, as my 2010 GS also isn't the best shifting car in the world. I've driven manual Civics and they are much nicer in this regard. From what i've read, this rougher shifting is quite normal on the Accent. I'm quite impressed overall with my new GS, but the tranny is not least impressive in my opinion.

I think different trans fluid will give you better shifting. I've had good luck with RedLine MTL (it's what i'm using now) and also think the new RedLine MT-85 would work. The MT-85 is listed by RedLine as a direct replacement for our cars, which is nice. It will cost you about $30 for the fluid and another $30 or so to have it put in. You'll likely have to mail order the fluid. I like the way my trans shifts with RedLine. It's still not quite as good as the Civics, but definitely better. See the "accent manual trans fluid tests" thread for more info.

I don't think the short shifter will help. I just wanted shorter throws than stock and perhaps a bit tighter shifter. It's unlikely to help with any notchy shifting though.

My short shifter will be arriving hopefully in time for this weekend. I'll post my impressions once its in.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by courtney2323
Hi,
I just bought a new 2011 accent GL manual. I just can't get used to the way the shifting feels. I am used to my old manual honda civic which is much smoother rather than the hyundai shifting that feels bumpy as I shift, as though its going through notches between gears. I obviously don't have a good understanding of how the transmission/gears work or what this difference is, but could someone explain what this is that I'm feeling and if its just part of having an inexpensive car. Also, will the short shifter improve this feel?Thanks so much, any explanation is appreciated!
Yes, I can feel the notches whenever I shift mine, it feels really wierd. The clutch is kinda tricky as well, and is more touchy when cold. After a few weeks, I decided I can live with mine as is without the shifter kit, although I think the shifter kit is supposed to take away that notchy feel. The shifter kit also replaces the plastic pieces inside the console, I think those pieces are the main culprit of the notchy shifter feel more than the gearbox fluid type. Hondas have the best, and easiest manual transmissions/clutches out of any car I have driven, but I paid $4500 less than I could buy a Honda Fit for, and I'm happy with my Accent, the Fit rides like a lumber wagon.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM

Does this shifter let you convert a automatic to a stick?

Quick Reply: Anyone Try The B&M Short Shifter Kit?