Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Intermittent Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Default Intermittent Loss of Power

Hello out there.
I have a 95 Accent with about 180 k on it and over the last two years every once in a while during the initial few minutes of start up and drive off during a rain shower, the engine would just die off to idle. If you stuff your foot into it, she would accelerate fine until you let off the throttle and then it would go back to idle. Any throttle between would not accelerate or maintain speed. Just like running out of gas.There would be no black smoke out the exhaust and the plugs are not sooted up. I would get NO "CHECK ENG" light.I have checked for codes afterwards and occaisionally come up with 4151=Air/Fuel Ratio Lean/Rich
If the "Check Eng Light" does come on, it comes up with 3128=O2 Sensor. Note: Thiswould NOT be after a stalling event and I beleive this is a seperate problem with the O2 sensor.

This, while annoying hasn't happened that often. Never in the winter and only during initial start up and drive away in therain.

Lately however, it is happening all the time (rain or no rain)until the engine is good and warmed up. I have checked fuel pump pressures with a gauge hooked up while the car is running and pressure is 35-45 psi depending on throttle position. Fuel pressure regulator is functioning as it should.I have done resistance checks on the MAF, TPS, Idle Ctl Sol, Cam Pos Sensor, Crank Pos Sensor, Fuel Injectors, Intake Temp Sensor, Purge valve. I have checked the vacum lines for leaks.Recently in desperation I shotgunned it with a used Computer. No Joy!
I know you're going to to say what about the O2 sensor code but even disconnected the loss of an O2 sensor input wouldn't cause this and they want$200.00 for one.I am sure I must be missing something obvious.
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thx much

Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Default RE: Intermittent Loss of Power

who wants 200 for it? its gotta be the stealership. go to autozone for the O2 sensor.

as far as the 4151, the O2 sensor should take care of that too,

basically if its not sending a proper signal to the ecu then the care doesnt know if its running rich or lean, it probably thinks its running rich and puts les fuel into the mixture. replace the 02