Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Problems with filling up gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM

I've had this problem and no matter where I took my 2000 Hyundai Accent, the fuel would click off on max setting. I took it to a shop and told me to remove the lines on either side of the fuel intake. I removed the one on the right and it filled like new. Replaced the line and the fill went to a crawl again. I removed it again and it filled like new again. So I kept that line off, but wonder if something on the fuel neck is blocking ventilation out. How would I go test this theory?

Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by krg2081
I'm having the same problem. The gas pumps for about 3 seconds before it shuts off. Takes about 10 minutes to fill the tank. I see that people have fixed it by removing charcol from the vent tubes. Can anyone tell me where I can find the vent tubes and charcol canister in order to try to fix this?
As you look at the fill neck, remove the right most vent line. If it fills like normal, that's the line with trouble at the neck. Not sure about the other line though.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Find info on how to fix the problem here:
https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/g...iagnosis-5971/

Old 03-26-2014, 11:05 PM

I wish I knew how to figure out what is causing my 00 Accent to keep clicking off when pumping fuel into it. Replaced the charcoal canister, but it still fills slowly and someone saw the filler neck is cracked. It had a nice puddle for the car sitting from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm. How easy is it to replace the filler neck and do I have to drop the tank?

Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 PM

Any idea where the fuel filter is, if it has one?

Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 PM
Default Charcoal canister was leaking pellets

I had the same issue of the gas nozzle shutting off frequently when pumping gas in one of my three Elantras. I pulled the charcoal canister and, like others have reported, found charcoal pellets clogging the larger evap hose. Looking into the canister through the openings for the hoses I could see that remnants of a foam filter that was falling apart and letting the pellets migrate into the hoses and clog them. Once I removed the wayward pellets, the fix was simple - I found some light foam that passed air easily and stuffed it in the canister openings to keep the pellets contained in the canister. Now the car gasses up fine.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:54 AM

a little presure is the best way to get must of the pure fuel.... less bubles and air and more fuel

Old 12-25-2020, 12:56 AM
Default Still

I just got a 2015 Hyundai Accent with only 40,000 miles on it, and it’s also having this issue pretty severely. 😒 sounds like maybe I can take care of it though

Old 12-25-2020, 08:20 AM

There is one thing that has a lot to do with filling the fuel tank.
That is ,,,,,,,,,not stopping putting fuel into the tank when the nozzle has shut down. This starts out when the topping off until the tank will not take any more fuel.

The Evap system is designed to collect "Vapor" only. When over filled liquid gets into the vapor system and destroys the canister and clogs the lines.

If the present or previous owner did this , the system is on it's way to trouble. This is how it starts and then progresses , it never gets better once the damage is done.
Cleaning lines and canister replacement are the fixes. There are vent valves that can malfunction due to internal function and filter clogging and those need to be checked out also.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:51 PM
Default Gas filling

I watch the u tube videos about this problem. And it seems the canister and valve are the problem. I was wondering if i just disconnected the vent tubes if that will work for now. Also wondering if that will trigger a check engine light. Anyone who could give me advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Quick Reply: Problems with filling up gas