Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

02 Elantra dies while driving without warning HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Question 02 Elantra dies while driving without warning HELP

Ok im new to the site and learning alot from everyone so i figured this would be good place to start... My car is an 02 elantra gls 5 spd. I was on the freeway goin about 70 and the engine just shuts off. Pulled over but wouldnt start back up.. everything still works elec wise it turns over cranks good but no fire. The plugs when i pulled them were dry after cranking it. So i thought it was the fuel pump. I replaced it and still nothing. I checked for spark and it wasnt getting any. So i replaced the coils and the bracket they bolt onto and still no fire or spark. I replaced the cam sensor. Still nothing will crank good but no fire. The timing belt is in good condition and have around 25k miles left before i need to replace it. Ive put 40k on the car and have only replaced the clutch and timing belt when i first got it. This is my first hyundai and i like the car great on gas compared to my truck but im just at a loss.. Thinking comp or crank sensor?!?! Any ideas... or anyone have this same problem or heard of it? Anything will help me at this point.

Last edited by freels83; 10-17-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Never throw parts at a problem. You need to diagnose and find out what is actually wrong. First, get the computer read for any codes.

Second, how many miles are on the car? You said you put 60K miles on it but never replaced the timing belt. You can't tell if a belt is okay or not by looking. It needs to be replaced every 60k miles.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM

I usually dont just put parts on it. i just went off of what i have had happen on other cars i have had.. the timing belt is fine (or should be) the car has 126k i have replaced the timing belt shortly after buying the car when the previous owner said he had never had it done. Have about 25k miles of the 60k left before needs changed again. I dont have the cash to tow the car to a shop and pay the 100 they want to plug into it to say its something i can do and tow it home. I will if i have to but changing what i have couldnt be much left. The battery is an 06 so im sure its on its way out but not sure it wouldnt start with a jump at all...

NOTE: ment to say ive put 40k on it not 60k.. oops typo

Last edited by freels83; 10-17-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM

My car did the same thing I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor and all godd now but also check the Crankshaft Position Sensor because it will do the same thing