Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

cold startup rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Default cold startup rattle

Just bought a certified pre-owner 2011 Elantra. On a cold start up. there is a noticeable rattle underneath. When the engine is warm, it is not as bad, but there none the less.

I have had to the dealer twice now. They want to look under the valve cover.

Any specific guidance?

Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by stanchambe
Any specific guidance?
Yeah, let the dealer handle it. It's covered. Could be anything from oil that's too thick to an incorrect oil filter that's too restrictive to a loose timing chain tensioner.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM

dealer found metal shavings in the oil pan, they are working with Hyundai to see what is next.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Ouch. New engine time. At least it should be covered.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:46 AM

Yes, they are trying to decide if they want to replace the whole engine or just a half block.

What do you think causes this?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Default half block

they rebuilt the engine. I still do not have the car back. It's been over 2 weeks now.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Former Site Vendor

Keep your head up - rebuilds take time. At least they are handling it for you.

It will be a whole new car when you get it back.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM

so the dealer had it over two weeks. I pick up the car and the next morning, the exact same rattle is there. I call them back and they said all it will take is a minor adjustment. Two days later they call me and say to pick up the car. That rattle happens on all Elantras. WTF??? then why did they rebuild half the engine?

Last edited by stanchambe; 08-29-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:00 AM

I noticed you mentioned a rattle underneath . Are you sure it's coming from engine. These models have problems with exhaust heat shield welds breaking causing a rattle/ buzz noise at certain rpms. Also for cold start , there is I believe a tsb to reprogram the ECM for cvvt noise. For the heat shield there is a simple clamp kit available that is installed.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:01 PM

well, after all that, I take it back to the dealer again since the rattle is still there. They said, "just a minor adjustment". I pick it up and ....you guessed it. The rattle is still there. They had the nerve to tell me that noise is normal for that car. OMG!

I call the service manager and explained everything to him. He said he will work with Hyndai to get this resolved. After a few more weeks, the SM tells they think it is a pin in the timing mechanism. I called Hyundai direct because this is just alot of pure BS.

The SM calls me back and said he ordered another part for the top of the engine. I have to wait until it comes in.

I am ready to file a lemon law claim.

Quick Reply: cold startup rattle