Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

oil filter issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Default oil filter issues

Hello, first post

Ok, so I have a 2009 Santa Fe, trying to do first oil change, and the filter won't come off. I've read other oil filter posts about this problem and the suggestions don't seem to be able to help in my situation. The 2009 santa fe has the oil filter in very tight quarters. I don't have the room to get a traditional filter wrench on it. The screwdriver trick won't work because once I puncture the filter, there will be no room to turn it. I tried those end-cap socket things and I can't find a size that doesn't slip and slip around the filter. I tried the strap wrench and the post of the wrench collapsed the wall of the filter (no hole, and the wall isn't collapsed very far, but it is collapsed. I called the service department of hyundai and the guy said that the collapsed wall could interfere with the flow of the oil, and he doesn't reccomend driving it in this condition. Plus, I have to make an appointment and the next available appointment is 8 days from now. Plus, if I do go there and decide to tow it, it's like 25 miles from my house. I took it to a quick lube place down the block and they said it's possible that they won't be able to get the thing off. But if they try and damage the filter to thepoint that it leaks, then I'm really screwed. At least right now it doesn't leak, and I did put new oil in it to get it to the quick lube place. There's a gas station on my corner and the guy said he could look at it tomorrow, but I'd rather do this myself. Oh, and if I take off the oil pan I will have plenty of room to do whatever I want, but I'm not taking the oil pan off of a brand new car.

Does anyone have any suggestions that haven't been mentioned in other threads about this issue?

Thanks

Nick

Old 09-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Which engine?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM

Old 09-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Ok, got it off finally. For everyone else out there that might have this problem, I used one of those 3-legged adjustable wrenches. it just barely fit, because the filter is small, about 2 & 3/8". The wrench has these small rubber booties on its claw arms and they were slipping all around the filter, so I took them off and the metal bit into the filter and did the trick.