Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

TrustiGO Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 04:21 AM
Default TrustiGO Sat Nav

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 6.2" Sat Nav they sell on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Doubl...fAudioQ5fVideo

I decided to give it a try. I ordered one on Thursday and it should come Tuesday next week. Its a decent amount of money, but I am excited. It looks great based on the videos. It uses http://igo8.com/ Navigation software, and has built in bluetooth, etc.

Let me know if you have used it or what you think. I am using the Metra double din kit for the Sonota.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Ok. I went ahead and bought the unit. I installed it today. It took me a few hours but mostly because I was disorganized about the whole thing and had to run out for crimps, solder, etc.

Here are some photos of the end result.

sorry for the blurriness, but its getting dark here.
http://cid-26de8ec80b383471.photos.l...V?sa=700050723

Here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r104Cm2UeWs

Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 AM

That looks really good! Thanks for sharing with us. Are you happy with it?

Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by rallyman
That looks really good! Thanks for sharing with us. Are you happy with it?
Overall happy. Bluetooth is excellent. I wish I had an iPod because it has built in controls for iPod. my zune is unsupported. I ordered a cable so I can add a 3.5mm aux port (comes with a number of RCA inputs on the unit). The Nav software is excellent (igo8.com). You can get backup cam, etc. although I didnt.

Overall I think its a great unit for under $600.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:21 AM

Nice! That unit is mighty tempting. The vendor is in the same city I live in too.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:54 AM

Yeah its pretty nice. Bluetooth is great. I have been dealing with crumby bluetooth solutions for this car and now have a 4 star solution to my hands free problem. Nav continues to be good. Install really wasnt too hard. I will be happy to walk you through it when you get yours.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 AM

I am trying to tie into my steering wheel volume switches into the new system. Where can I pick up the wires for that. Anyone have any experience tapping those wires? I assume they are just simple switches, but the diagram on the hyundai service website shows 4 switches all in parallel. Obviously this is not the case otherwise they would all have the same function.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Just though I would followup to this post with my impressions after using this product for a few months.

NAV system
-Very slow performance with initial boot.
-Slow to aquire sattelites.
-Generally sluggish performance. I touch the screen and it often takes seconds to respond.
-Doesnt hold its settings. When I mute the volume on the Map software once it restarts it will have hte volume back up. Same goes for warnings. If I shut off audible warnings for speeding, etc. they come back on when the software restarts.
-Annoyingly the software will jump you to the map anytime something changes on the map. In other words if I am in my driveway and have just started the car and I start putting in a new route, the software will constantly jump me from the route screen back to the map screen as new sattelites are aquired and the screen updates. I then have to start the route from the beginning. This also happens if you are on an incorrect route and try to change to a new route. Every time the software recalculates (say you drive past the turn it is telling you to turn around) it will take you back to the map. Once I change screens manually (eg changing my route) there should be no automated thing that kicks me out to show me some updated map screen. I plan to do a youtube vid to show this because I know my explanation is convoluted.

FM Tuner
The tuner is terrible on my unit. It is fuzzy as if the signal is weak. Our cars have the standard motorola antenna jack and it plugs in perfect. Problem is the radio acts as if the antenna is crap. OEM radio works perfectly with the OEM antenna.

Bluetooth
-Quality is good for the person driving, but is poor to the person you are calling. The microphone seems to pick up a lot of noise. An advanced system should have a seperate microphone which picks up ambient noise to do noise cancelling. This unit does not do that. This to me is critical for good hands free performance.
-Does not consistently connect with the phone. When it does reconnect, if you are already on a call the bluetooth will try to transfer to handsfree, but the audio will not work. You need to disconnect, reconnect and most of the time the call will now have audio. If it doesnt work a restart of the unit is in order.

General
-Unit has one Master Volume Level. Each application should have its own audio setting that is rememberered. Currently if I am cranking the radio listening to a podcast that was recorded slightly low and the phone rings it practically blows the speakers out. Other systems I have seen always have independant volume on a per application basis.
- Windows CE in the unit is version 6.0. Current release at the time I bought this was 6.0R3 which was released in September 2009, yet this one is based on an even older release. The dont seem to care about updating this even though it would improve the compatibility of devices you plug into the units USB (like Androids phones, ZuneHD, Windows Phones, etc). I guess he paid his one time liscence to distribute the runtime and doesnt want to pay again. This is one of the issues dealing with a one man show instead of a real company who has R&D and marketing, etc.

Conclusions
For $600 I would NOT purchase this unit again. For this price level the unit should be a refined experience. This unit feels like components were slapped together to just get a working solution, but no further effort was put in to making an experience that someone would enjoy using. I am honestly not sure if I would buy this again at any price. A better bet would have been to either pay a bit more and get a name brand aftermarket NAV like Pioneer, etc, or use a aftermarket bluetooth, factory radio, and get a Garmin Nuvi. I would have still come out cheaper and each one of those products features a refined user experience.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Thank you for the in-depth review. Sorry the unit has not met your expectations. I guess I'll stick with my JVC double-DIN headunit and Garmin GPS.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 PM

I dont have a hyundai but I purchased the same unit for my vehicle. It was fine at first but only after less than 90 days have I been having problems with the unit. I would never purchase this junk again. My touchscreen doesn't work now. gps included was outdated. The settings I had for my steering wheel work when they want to. I tried talking to the seller but he keeps making up excuses. Im more than likely will ask for a refund because this unit shouldnt be giving me this many problems. So for $600.00 stay away and save money for a name brand unit. I have pics of my install.

Soon I will be posting a video because this is ridiculous.

Also, I found some other seller on ebay selling the same crap for $100.00 less in hong kong. So apparently this person buys them from hong kong for nothing then resells them on ebay overpriced. I personally am warning everyone to not buy this you will be disappointed.

Read my post on this other forum it explains everything beware

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...l#post10330915

Last edited by ScrillaNation; 05-11-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: something missing