Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2006 Tucson heater control problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Default 2006 Tucson heater control problem

I have a 2006 Tucson Limited with electronic heat controls. Heater issue. I was driving the car and switched from floor to defrost everything was fine, then I switched back to floor heat and nothing happened. I cycled through every option with the Mode button but nothing changed, air just flows out the top and a/c ducts. I turned the unit off and back on, and restarted the car in hoping it would reset the control. Nothing!! 10 degrees last night warm on top feet were cold!!! Anyone have a fix or suggestion, I am a mechanic so I can take directions, and fix things. (this is my new wife's car) I never worked on a Hyundai. A link to the service manual or suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks, John

Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

It's probably a fault with the electronics only fixed by replacing the unit. It should be covered by the 5y-60k mile warranty. Take it to a dealer for a free repair.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by dart383
A link to the service manual or suggestion would be appreciated.
http://www.hmaservice.com Free registration. Make note of the site requirements (especially the need for Internet Explorer).

Enjoy.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Default Heater problem

Today, I lowered the glove compartment door, found the harness for the blend air door and moved it while heater was on and presto the door changed positions. I went back and forth with defrost and heat, it worked every time. I know this is not a good fix but it was 13 degrees outside, so for now I will pause until it warms up. Also I want to look at the service manual. Either the control unit is bad or the harness has issues. Vehicle only has 36,000 miles, hard to believe that either piece is defective. I think we are out of warranty as my wife bought this car from her dad with 6,000 miles on it. I guess I could check with the dealer, but I remember Hyundai sending us some literature to extend the warranty. The original owner gets 10 years 100k, but once sold I think it's 3 years 36k.
As far as the link to the service manual, I tried it but it wouldn't open probably due to the use of Firefox as internet search engine. Is there another link that does not require internet explorer?? Thanks for the help, please continue to give feedback if anyone has more suggestions!
Thanks, John

Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 PM

John - The vehicle still has all it's original warrenties in effect. Go to:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/warranty.aspx

to review the coverage. Note that warrenty coverage does not change if the car remains in the immediate family. I would take the car to the dealer for warrenty repair.

Yes, the HMA service site requires IE. This is the same site that Hyundai maintains for use by Hyundai service technicians. Hyundai apparently decided to build it around IE some years ago using some of the proprietary features of that browser.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dart383
Vehicle only has 36,000 miles, hard to believe that either piece is defective. I think we are out of warranty as my wife bought this car from her dad with 6,000 miles on it. I guess I could check with the dealer, but I remember Hyundai sending us some literature to extend the warranty. The original owner gets 10 years 100k, but once sold I think it's 3 years 36k.
The original owner gets 10y/100k mile warranty on the engine and trans and only 5y/60k miles for the bumper to bumper warranty.

Secondary owners get a 5y/60k mile engine and bumper to bumper warranty. So as a seconday owner you are covered until 2011 or 60k miles, whatever comes first.

Since your problem is not with the engine or trans, it would be covered by the 5y/60k mile bumper to bumper warranty.