General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

00 Accent Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Default 00 Accent Fuel Problem

My moms car has had the engine light on for about a year now. Due to a lack of funds and knowledge, unfortunately the poor little car has been neglected. But today I decided to try to fix it. I had the car diagnosed and the trouble code read "running lean under load." In the cold, the car would need to sit and idle for about five minutes before it could be driven. Trying to drive it right away would result in the car trying to stall as soon as the clutch was let out and the engine light flashing. Now that it's warmer, that doesn't happen. However, while accellerating (especially in third gear) the car would have moments where it would stop accellerating, as if I had let off the gas. But I didn't. It felt like there were times when it wasn't getting any fuel.

I started with the fuel filter. I hooked it up exactly how it should be (double checked to make sure it wasn't on backwards), turned the key on and off a few times and then started it. It idled fine, and if I pressed on the gas slowly, it was fine. But if I stomped on the pedal it would hesitate like it was starving for fuel. Obviously the filter wasn't the problem. So I disconnected the battery for a few minutes to get rid of the engine light so I could see if it came back. But after reconnecting the battery and starting the car, it died. I can start it and it will run for about 3-5 seconds before stalling. I can't even keep it running by pumping the gas. When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump kicking in.

My question is, what changed? Do the Accents need to have their fuel lines purged after replacing the filter? Why won't the car run all of a sudden? One of my guesses is that the throttle position sensor is toast, but I just find it kind of odd how it would die right after I replaced the fuel filter. It would seem more likely that the cars stalling problem would be linked to something I did while replacing the filter.

Help is much appreciated!

Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

What is the error code you are receiving? There are other things, like electrical sensors, which will give you a "lean" code.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm not sure. :s The "running lean under load" is the only thing I know.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Banned

Well, actually, after reflecting on you case, I realize that weak fuel pressure will not produce the "lean" condition you describe, ironically enough. Weak fuel pressure will cause too much fuel to be dumped into the cylinders because it will not atomize and burn properly.

The code number is critical here. Take it to Autozone for a free code reading and report back here. And don't let the Autozone "soda jerk" try to diagnose the problem, they're only supposed to read codes, not tell you what they mean.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 AM

No can do. I'm not paying to have the car towed somewhere to get the trouble code read and then towed back... I had it diagnosed at Canadian Tire (I used to work there so I got to stand there and watch the guy do it) and the computer itself said running lean under load, it wasn't the mechanics translation.

Unfortunately, without the car running I can't get the engine light diagnosed.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Banned

Ok, well it's really hard to help you without the code. The computer telling you it's "lean" is not much help. The proof is in the fix that they recommended: It didn't work.

Maybe you can borrow a scanner, or buy one from eBay?

Lean conditions could mean all kinds of things...

Leaking intake
Leaking exhaust
Failing MAF sensor

Did somebody clean your intake by spraying stuff in it?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:01 PM

I ended up having it towed to the CAA garage, so it was towed and diagnosed for free and it turned out to be a bad MAF sensor. Got it replaced (I would have done it but by the time I called the garage to tell them not to do the work they were pretty much already done cause my mom had told them to *sigh*) and the car runs fine now. No more engine light, no more stalling.

Thanks for your help, just thought I'd let you know you were right lol. The car's back to being a happy healthy Hyundai. Mostly. lol

Old 03-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Banned

Hurray for you! Good going.