General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bumper Stickers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 AM
Default Bumper Stickers

Hi all, I recently purchased a used car, and the previouse owner plastered bumper stickers all over the rear end. My question is this: What is the best way to remove them without damaging/removing the paint? The stickers are on the plastic bumper, and on the metal trunk lid. I thought about using a straight edge razor blade, but am concerned with ruining the paint. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Chris

Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bumper Stickers

You're right, the razor blade is a bad idea. I would try a combination of Goo Gone, Bug & Tar remover, and maybe trying to get under the stickers with a nylon spatula to avoid getting into the paint. Once you've gotten as much as you can off, use a clay bar to take off the last little bit of any residue, and if if the clearcoat is marred, use some Meguiar's Scratch-X to smooth it out. Scratch-X needs pressure and heat to work, so if you use it, rub it very hard and fast (take out your frustration at the previous owner by pretenting the bumper is his face or something!) Finally, apply a good wax to protect the cleaned area.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the advice Doohickie. I have heard of a few of those products that you mentioned, but I am unfamilaire with a clay bar, and the use thereof. Any advice where I can learn more about a clay bar before I get in too deep, so to speak? Thanks again. Chris

Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

One clay bar product: http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detail...rface-Clay-Kit

These typically run $20 or less at auto parts stores. It comes with a spray lube/cleaner; you spray a little area, then wipe the bar on it. It takes stuff off the surface but will not get into the clear coat.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:42 PM

Doohickie, I had the car at my Mecanic this week doing the Safety and Emmisions. I asked him about the claybar, but he had never heard of it either. He suggusted I try a sticker remover you buy at any auto part store. He said it comes in a spray can, and you just spray it on the sticker, and it makes it bubble and easy to remove. Have you ever heard of such a product? If it works? Any experience? Thanks again. Chris

Old 06-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know, but as long as it's safe for automotive finishes it's worth a shot. Just make sure that it won't hurt your paint. If there's any doubt, maybe spray it somewhere where people can't see (underneath or something) before using it on a visible area.