General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cluster Ionizer - new feature??

Old 11-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Default Cluster Ionizer - new feature??

Hi all,
What is cluster ionizer..?? Pl let me know the function and if possible the photo in the car..How can i check its functioning?

Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

What car? Model, year? Do you have an owners manual? Have you read it?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by sashidhar84
Hi all,
What is cluster ionizer..?? Pl let me know the function and if possible the photo in the car..How can i check its functioning?
You must have a 2011 Sonata. The cluster ionizer generates ozone to eliminate odors associated with mold growth in the HVAC system. It's build into the blower ventilation system (item #12).

Components

1. Inlet duct case
2. Inlet duct case (A)
3. Inlet door
4. Inlet actuator
5. Seal
6. Blower upper case
7. Blower lower case
8. Seal
9. Climate control air filter cover
10. Climate control air filter
11. Power mosfet
12. Cluster ionizer
13. Blower motor

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-17-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Fixed white text
Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ken99
You must have a 2011 Sonata. The cluster ionizer generates ozone to eliminate odors associated with mold growth in the HVAC system. It's build into the blower ventilation system (item #12).

Components

1. Inlet duct case
2. Inlet duct case (A)
3. Inlet door
4. Inlet actuator
5. Seal
6. Blower upper case
7. Blower lower case
8. Seal
9. Climate control air filter cover
10. Climate control air filter
11. Power mosfet
12. Cluster ionizer
13. Blower motor
Thanks a lot ken..

Can you explain the working principle, circuit diagram of that..??
how can i know whether it is switched on or off?

Originally Posted by NovaResource
What car? Model, year? Do you have an owners manual? Have you read it?
NovaResource :

Cluster ionizer is available in Hyundai i45 & ix35...

http://www.makinandlubyhyundai.com.au/product-ix35.htm

http://www.makinandlubyhyundai.com.au/product-i45.htm

Is there any equipment to confirm the working of cluster ionizer in HVAC unit (in part itself)...?? Pl support in this regard.

Attached Thumbnails Cluster Ionizer - new feature??-ionizer.jpg  

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-17-2010 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Merged 3 posts
Old 11-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sashidhar84
Why do you refuse to answer the questions?

I didn't ask you what Hyundais a cluster ionizer was available in, I asked you what car (model and year) YOU have.

I also asked you if you had an owners manual and if your read it.

Please answer those questions and I will try to help you with yours. We can't help you if you don't give us enough information. We don't have the ability to read minds.

Going by the information in the links you provided, it appears that the ionizer cleans the air whenever the air conditioner is on. How do you know if it’s working? You can't. You just have to trust that it is. It's the same as asking if the oil filter is functioning. You can't, unless you have the oil analyzed and then remove the filter and cut it open to check the filtering media.

Last edited by NovaResource; 11-17-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Default Reg. Cluster ionizer..

Originally Posted by NovaResource
Why do you refuse to answer the questions?

I didn't ask you what Hyundais a cluster ionizer was available in, I asked you what car (model and year) YOU have.

I also asked you if you had an owners manual and if your read it.

Please answer those questions and I will try to help you with yours. We can't help you if you don't give us enough information. We don't have the ability to read minds.

Going by the information in the links you provided, it appears that the ionizer cleans the air whenever the air conditioner is on. How do you know if it’s working? You can't. You just have to trust that it is. It's the same as asking if the oil filter is functioning. You can't, unless you have the oil analyzed and then remove the filter and cut it open to check the filtering media.
Dear NovaResource, thanks for your explanation...
I own hyundai i10, 1.2L. It has manual air con. without cluster ionizer, so its not available in owner's manual... Thats y i quoted hyundai i45 & ix35...Hope this answers your question.

I understand that there is no method to identify whether it is working or not. Will there be any indication/illumination inside the car in the center facia when it is working..?

As far as i know, its a simple air purifier and available in 2 types..one s available in aftermarket...plugging in power socket and the second is the integrated type, in which the unit is directly attached to the heater and blower unit itself...

Can anyone explain the circuit of this one..?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

From HMAservice.com

1. The function of cluster ionizer is cleaning air by sterilizing and dissolving of air conditioner.
2. The function of cluster ionizer is controlling mold caused by stench of air conditioner and external inflow of air.

The Cluster Ionizer makes a disinfection and decomposition of a bad smell from the air-conditioner or inflow air. And it cleans inside air of a vehicle.
When running an air-conditioner or heater, it starts with "CLEAN MODE" on it and repeats from "CLEAN MODE" to "ION MODE" and from "ION MODE" to "CLEAN MODE" every 15 minutes.
In the CLEAN MODE, the cluster ionizer generates negative ions and positive ions and makes a disinfection and decomposition of a bad smell from the air-conditioner or an inflow air. The cluster ionizer has functions as follows; a deodorization effect, a disinfection effect, and an air-cleaning effect.
It has an operation indicator lamp on the upper side of its display area and shows whether it is operaing or not.
In the ION MODE, the cluster ionizer generates negative ions and cleans inside air of a vehicle.It has an opeation indicator lamp on the lower side of its display area and shows whether if is operating or not.

Attached Thumbnails Cluster Ionizer - new feature??-cluster-ionizer.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 AM

The way it was brought up in training, you will never know that it is working or not working..

Only way to know there is a problem is if 1 were to scan the A/C control module, and find fault code for it.. nobody is going to go looking for an ionizer fault while under warranty out of the blue... dont pay enough to remove dash and HVAC to access the module..