General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Desperate for help!! Elantra Electrical!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Default Desperate for help!! Elantra Electrical!

Girlfriend has a 2003 Elantra GLS. My Mom owned it previously. One day (about a year ago) mom complained of No dome lights, radio etc. I replaced the ETACS Fuse and never dealt with it again. Two days ago, Girlfriend says that her Radio, Clock, lights won't work. I replace the ETACS fuse again and it blew. Hmmm. I pulled everything, turns out it was the door lock cylinder came loose in the passengers door and gotten things wet in there. I cut and capped the lock wires and the Etacs fuse didn't blow again.

Yesterday she comes in complaining her windows won't work. I go out, fuse is good, i pull it out and put it back in, Windows are fine. Today, I get a call she says Check Engine light is on and that the car won't go fast. I come by, read the code, P0705 Transmission Range selector malfunction. I try to mess with the gear selector since the dash wasn't showing if the car was in PRNDL at all. Now, the window won't work, ETACs fuse blew again, and the tranny issue resolved itself!!! I'm pulling my hair out trying to solve this! I need help. I can't figure out why the window won't work, the window has power, fuse is good, has power, I checked the harness at the drivers door and it has power.

I noticed something odd. I checked the battery with a multimeter and the leads fell and landed on the two terminals. 12 even. But, Power and ground have continuity!!! Do I have a gigantic short to ground? The instrument lights work, headlights and tail lights work. I don't get it. Someone please help me?