General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Emissions Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Default Emissions Problem

I got an 03 Hyundia Tiburon with a 2.7 in it. I have had it a the dealership 4 times now and they are no good. The 1st time they said my emissions control switch underneath the charcoal cannister was bad so $180.00 laterand 3 days the engine light came back on. So i took it back and they said it was nothing possibly electrical but its fixed. 3 days later light was back on so I took it again and this time they said that my charcoal cannister filter was clogged they wanted $380.00 to fix it. Well I have had many cars with charcoal cannisters and never heard of one clogging up. Can someone help me figure out what really is wrong wit my ride

Old 12-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Emissions Problem

Many times if you overfill the gas tank you can have fuel flow down the vent tube to the canister and destroy it. Have you ever pumped your Tib extra full after the nozzle cut off?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:56 PM

No I may go up to make the money even but not much higher. Thats another wierd thing it comes on while im driving no specific fuel level or anything. I know all the charcoal cannister does is depressurizes the gas tank while you are fill up but thats all it should do and the only time that it should have a function. Its not suppose to do anything while you are driving as far as i know but if anyone thinks other wise let me know im desprite

Old 12-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: phemy

I know all the charcoal cannister does is depressurizes the gas tank while you are fill up but thats all it should do and the only time that it should have a function. Its not suppose to do anything while you are driving as far as i know
Actually, the canister holds the vapor from the tank and then releases it to the engine to be burned when the engine is running. So, yes, it does have a function when the engine is running.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:38 PM

SryI havent been able to get on a computer latly. I didnt know that it did that while the car was running but, were excatly is the charcoal cannister. I dont know that much about the car to go screwing around with something like emissions to check anything. From what i have been told i have to replace the cannister filter but like i said i dont know were it is.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

On the GK Tiburon it's that box hanging down under the spare tire well under the car. Let a mechanic that knows what he's doing fix the problem.