General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Noise... Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Default Engine Noise... Need Help!!

Hi

Well I have a 2001 Elantra with 94,000 miles. I am the original owner and I have had the timing belt changed less than a year ago as with every other belt. When I was heading home from the cabin, I slowly began noticing more engine (I think) noise as my speed is increased. I can even feel a slight vibration on the gas pedal. The noise sounds like a revolving part, maybe a belt, but it does not seem to be tire or wheel noise. The noise only gets louder, not faster as the speed increases, so I think it's a belt?? Can a tune up or Transmission fluid flush help, I am due for these?? Any thoughts what this could be?? How would you proceed?

Any help would be great!!

Matt

Old 05-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Default RE: Engine Noise... Need Help!!

A tune up or transmission flush would certainly not hurt. Good idea!! Be sure to have a trusted mechanic do the work or take it to the dealer.
Good Luck,
Brant

Old 05-24-2006, 06:03 AM

yes I agree, dont take the matters into your own hands dude.
Better take your car to your trusted auto shop before that engine problem of yours gets too complicated. Something could be wrong with your
alternator, catalytic converter or any of the components comprising your engine.

Old 08-05-2006, 05:47 PM

The Timing belt could be prematurely fraying if they spilled oil or grease on it. The bearings or belts on the alternator could be failing. The water pump bearings or belts could be failing. The power steering pump bearings or belts could be failing. The harmonic balancer seal could be split and failing. The flywheel may have an imbalance due to starter damage. It could be one of many things. If the vibration is getting worse could one of your motor mounts be split and failing. I would suggest staying on top of this issue until you get a satisfactory answer. This is one those things that could definitely leave you hanging out on the side of the road somewhere. Good luck!