General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Oil Light on too long after start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Default Engine Oil Light on too long after start?

New member to this forum, hello to all ... just purchased a 2010 Veracruz GLS AWD. Noticed that after the car is started (after being off for at least 5 minutes), the engine oil light stays on 3-5 seconds before turning off.

The only other time I have seen this on my other cars (Malibu, Camry) is the first start after an oil change, presumably waiting for the oil filter to fill up with oil.

Took it into the dealer's service who said that it is normal. There were no trouble codes in the computer and they checked the oil pressure which was OK.

I'm just worried that during this time of low oil pressure is the engine being damaged.

Anyone else out there with the 3.8 V6 experiencing anything similar ?

FredW

Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Banned

thats normal and will not damage anything. the dealer is correct.

the oil light is triggered by a pressure switch. if pressure falls below a certain threshold, the switch triggers the light.

when your car is off the pressure is zero. after you start taking a few seconds to build that pressure is perfectly normal - can't do it instantly.

your other cars did the same thing, but its likely the sensor had a lower threshold - meaning that its trigger point was at a lower pressure.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 AM

zero_gravity - thanks for the quick reply.

I also thought that because the oil filter is mounted on top of the engine, gravity causes the oil to find its way back to the sump after the car is turned off. Then when the car is restarted, the oil filter housing has to fill up again, causing the delay for that oil pressure light to go out.

It'd be a re-assurance if I heard from another 3.8 L V6 owner if they see the same thing, or maybe as you suggested, there is a difference in the pressure switch's thresholds from car to car.

FredW

Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 PM

Sounds like the filter sump is draining oil when the motor is shut off. There is a small o-ring on the bottom end of the filter spindle that is suppose to be replaced with each oil change. This o-ring seals the bottom of the sump to keep it from draining when the engine isn't running. Could be defective or it didn't get replaced, which is more common than you would think. Make sure whoever changes your oil replaces the o-ring. It comes with the OEM and most aftermarket oil filter kits.

Last edited by ken99; 07-25-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:40 PM

ken99 -

Thanks for your input. I went to the Hyundai Web site and looked at their on-line documentation. I did see that o-ring that you're talking about. This is a new car so perhaps it wasn't installed correctly or missing altogether. I usually change my own oil, but when I get to 3,750 miles, I'll have the dealer change it. Hopefully they've done this enough times to do a thorough job.

Or, do you think it merits mentioning this to them now, before the first oil change?

FredW

Old 07-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by fredw
do you think it merits mentioning this to them now, before the first oil change?
Yes, or you can check yourself by unscrewing the oil filter sump cap. Once you have it unscrewed, pull the entire unit straight up and look at the o-ring on the small end of the center spindle. You'll invest a few minutes at most.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by ken99
Yes, or you can check yourself by unscrewing the oil filter sump cap. Once you have it unscrewed, pull the entire unit straight up and look at the o-ring on the small end of the center spindle. You'll invest a few minutes at most.
I purchased a Hyundai Oil Filter Service Kit #26320-3C250 from the dealer who said that this is a "new part number."

I unscrewed the oil filter sump cap and pulled it straight up. There was a small o-ring at the bottom of the spindle. With some inexpensive calipers I measured a slightly larger diameter in the new o-ring versus the old, so I installed the new o-ring.

I started the car, and observed the 3-5 second delay before the oil pressure light went out, then let it run until it warmed up. I turned off the engine, waited 45 minutes and checked again. The oil pressure light went out immediately.

However, when the car sits turned off for a longer period, say overnight, the 3-5 second delay is back.

It seems to me that because the spindle is connected to the inside of the cap, the seating of that small o-ring is dependent on the (1) the dimensional length of that spindle and (2) how tight the cap is screwed on. Strange design.

I guess I will just have to live with this.

Thanks to all for helping.

Fred W

Old 06-20-2021, 07:46 AM

What happened in the end ?

Old 06-27-2021, 12:06 PM

Since it was like 10 years ago, I guess they walked happily off into the sunset !

Old 08-02-2021, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by trent666
What happened in the end ?
Well, after 11 years owning the Veracruz, I'm happy to report no issues regarding the oil light being on 3-5 seconds after a cold start.