General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

fans not coming on/wont start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Default fans not coming on/wont start when hot

I have a 2003 Hyundai Accent 1.5 automatic. After it heats up to normal temp and is driven for a while 1/2 hr or more and I turn it off, it wont start until engine is cooled off. The gauge is reading normal temp but it is very hot under the hood. After it cools off it will start normally. I am thinking the cooling fans are not turning on as they should. I did get the fans to come on once by cleaning the connectors. But it seems something else is to blame? Any suggestions?

Old 07-21-2019, 07:18 PM

It is normal for the engine compartment to be hot during the summer months.
If the gauge is reading normal then it isn't a problem.
When engine is first started, try turning on the AC.
This should force both fans to turn on.

Engine not starting after being run for a while or heat soaked
usually an indication of a bad electronic component such as the crankshaft position sensor
Check for spark and injector pulse when it doesn't want to start
If both are missing then it is a good indicator that the crank position sensor is faulty
Locate the sensor and pour some cold water in the general area
Try to limit the water to only the area of interest
And not get other wires wet
If it starts up after that then it also points to the sensor

Old 07-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Sometimes I can pour water over starter and it will start. Fans do come on when a/c is on. I poured water on CKS but it didnt start.I have another car that the transmission went. I am taking parts off that as needed. I will probably replace CKS just to eliminate that possibly.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lydia Mann
Sometimes I can pour water over starter and it will start. Fans do come on when a/c is on. I poured water on CKS but it didnt start.I have another car that the transmission went. I am taking parts off that as needed. I will probably replace CKS just to eliminate that possibly.
Are you saying that the no start problem you are having is a no crank no start?
Or is it a crank no start?

Different circuits involved with the different no start issues.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 PM

When I turn key it sounds like the battery is close to dead. A boost does nothing. The only thing that seems to work is to wait at least 1/2 hr and pouring water over the starter area seems to help that time frame.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:49 PM

No crank no start
the way it sounds ... the starter may be faulty.
Just need to verify the starter is getting powers and grounds when it won't start
This would mean starter is no good.
If it isn't getting power or ground then need to troubleshoot that circuit

Possible corrosion. Clean battery terminals and cable terminals. Trace ground strap to chassis and clean grounding point.
clean terminal of ignition wire going to the starter solenoid. If nothing else it eliminates possible corrosion issue.

When it doesn't want to start, try tapping the starter.
It may help to get it to crank.
It indicates faulty starter.

Last edited by avisitor; 07-23-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:13 AM

I have switched out starter twice. The last switch out was with a new starter. So I dont think its the starter. Battery terminals are clean, too. It starts every time when cold. Its after the car has run for a while and is up to temp, when shut off it wont restart until motor area has cooled down. Then it starts up with no problems.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:25 PM

Can you do a starter relay by-pass test?
This would tell us if the issue is in the control side of the circuit or the load side of the circuit

Take a look at the fuse box and pull the relay and the associated fuse
Look for any green crusties, corrosion.
Also, clean battery terminals and cable terminals.
Doesn't matter if they look clean. Can not tell just by looking

When the engine is hot and won't crank, taking a wire from the positive battery post to the starter solenoid should make it crank
You can have the wire hooked up to the starter solenoid post
and touch the wire to the positive battery post to see if it will crank when using the key will not crank engine
If it doesn't then check to see if the heavier cable going to the starter has 12 volts.
If it does have 12 volts then starter is faulty
Is that cable terminal going to the starter clean?

Note: You should not assume a part is good or not good. Test and re-test to be sure. Absolutely certain.

Last edited by avisitor; 07-23-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:05 AM

I am busy the rest of week, but will try this sometime over the weekend and let you know. I have already cleaned battery posts and terminals, tho.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:10 PM

switched out cam sensor, crank pos sensor. Cleaned Positive terminal on battery. Doesnt make sense that starter is faulty when it will start cold every time. But that has been changed out too. Today it refused to start at temp again. I left it with hood up and came back after about 45 minutes and it started right up with no issues. I dont know what else I should look at?

Quick Reply: fans not coming on/wont start when hot