General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Filter Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Banned
Default Fuel Filter Nightmare

Hi all. Just wanted to relate my experience today so you guys don't make the same mistake.

Silly me, I decided to change my fuel filter today in my '99 Elantra. Seems easy enough, it's under all the hoses next to the brake booster. I go out to Advance Auto parts because they have a cheap Purolator filter, only $13.99. And a fuel filter is just a fuel filter, right? They all work, right?

WRONG! I manage to get the old filter out (it was pretty rusted in, had to use vise grips on it). Put the new filter in, and SNAP.... It's got a two piece top that breaks on contact. It's total junk. I didn't even tighten it very hard. It was waiting for me to break it.

The original had a one piece top, impossible to break it.

Ok, so I go to Autozone. They have a filter for $16.99. It has to be better, right?

WRONG! Autozone has the same cheap Chinese made thing, in a different box, for more money. I wish the guy a nice day and leave.

I go to NAPA, and they have a nice, made in Korea, one piece job identical to the original one. It costs $16.99, but it's well worth it now. Pop it in, BINGO! It works.

So it just goes to show, sometimes it pays to buy a quality brand.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Banned

sounds about right lol. i think we've all got our bonehead moves and bad experiences with cheap parts. my problems always seem to be with old weak bolts snapping at the worst time - especially with my old toyota. here's a couple good ones for you:

i was adjusting the ignition timing (older system where you turn the distributor and use a timing light) and i managed to break the dizzy pinch bolt off right flush with the head where it screws in....lots of swearing and such lol. landlord helped me by putting a bracket in there to hold it in place so i could limp it to the mechanic. he had to take it to the machine shop and he was kind enough to put a stud in there to solve it forever.

another good one of my own stupidity - broke off a bleeder screw when working on brakes. because of the age it was just more worth it to get a new manufactured caliper. after that i replaced ALL the bleeder screws with new one and put some anti-seize on them and started using a torque wrench!