General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuel Pressure Regulator ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Default Fuel Pressure Regulator ??

My 2000 Elantra has been the perfect car (until I took it to the dealer for a "Free oil change") The mechanic said I needed a "Fuel Pressure Regulator", (he said it was beginning to leak) ($185) I declined the work, until after the holidays. Well, the next morning I started the car and it is idling REAL rough, also the Check Engine light came on and is flashing.
My question is, could this be the "Fuel Pressure Regulator" making my car act like this?
This car has a 2.0 engine and is the "sport wagon" model, it has 44,340 miles on it .
Any advise on what I should do or what it can be???
I have checked that all of the vacumn lines are connected and nothing seems to be unplugged???

Old 12-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Default RE: Fuel Pressure Regulator ??

MMMM...not to place doubt but, seems awfully strange this all happens after you refuse work from a dealership. I have heard some dealers have been known to fix things to get you back. Not saying this has occured but, be careful.
Good Luck
Brant

Old 12-18-2005, 09:23 PM

THAT IS KIND OF WHAT I WAS THINKING. ANYWAY, I HAVE SPENT THE LAST 6 HOURS CHECKING EVER CONNECTION I CAN FIND. AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT, THIS HAPPENED ON A SUNDAY SO I COULDN'T FIND ANYONE OPEN TODAY. MY PLAN IS TO CALL SOME AUTO REPAIR PLACES TOMORROW AND ASK IF THEY HAVE A "SCANNER TO RETRIEVE THE CODES" SO I CAN GET IT FIXED. MY CONCERN IS GOING TO A REPAIR PLACE AND LOOKING LIKE A "DUMB FEMALE WITH A TARGET ON MY BACK".
ANY ADVISE ON WHAT I SHOULD QUESTION OR HOW TO HANDLE THIS???
I JUST KNOW THIS IS A BAD TIME OF THE YEAR TO HAVE THIS HAPPEN. (FOR SOME REASON, WALKING TO WORK IN 20 DEGREE TEMPS AT 5am IS NOT HOW I PLANNED ON STARTING THE HOLIDAY SEASON).

Old 12-19-2005, 02:51 PM

If you have a AUto Zone or Advance Auto near you they can scan it for free. This will give you an idea where to start looking.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:50 PM

My car was repaired today! I took it to a LOCAL SHOP. They did have to replace the "Fuel pressure regulator" (part was $80 and labor $15). Also they found two spark plug wires were not working correctly (they were arching to the engine, both of the wires had a split on the side). So I ended up having a tune-up done, replaced all of the filters and the fuel pressure regulator. My car is back to running great. I think the lesson to be learned is nothing is free, a "Free oil change at the dealer" translated into $400 in diagnosis and repairs for a problem that mysteriously appeared AFTER THE DEALERSHIP "CHECKED OUT" my car. Now I am not accusing anyone of anything BUT .................???
This hyundai elantra has to be the best car we have ever owned. Now if the service departments were half as great as the vehicles then EVERYONE WOULD OWN A HYUNDAI.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:34 PM

Wow...thats great news!! I'm glad everything worked out.
Brant