General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP PLEASE! 2003 2.0 - p0340 camshaft position sensor

Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Exclamation HELP PLEASE! 2003 2.0 - p0340 camshaft position sensor

HELP PLEASE! 2003 2.0 - p0340 light camshaft position sensor AND TIMING ISSUE.
We purchased a Tiburon with a blown motor. I have replaced the 2.0 engine in my sons 2003 Tiburon with a 2003 Elantra. The engine was an exact replacement.
Everything went perfectly and the car is drivable, but from day one but we have had an issue. It lacks power as it warms up and we have a camshaft position sensor code p0340 po340. I assume the sensor is the reason. The light comes back every time the engine is started the second time and/or after it has run for a few minutes. I have not ran it on a scope yet but I hoped not to get that far. I have tried messing with wires but no luck. The gas mileage is terrible and has poor performance, please help. I hope someone has a better guess before I take it in the shop. Thanks
READ ON PLEASE and see photos---------->

Here is what I have done..
First thing I did, I took the old sensor out of the old block and put it in. I got the same code….
Second thing I did, I bought a new sensor and tried it, no luck, same code…..
Then….
I removed the valve cover and timing cover.
On #1 cylinder, I brought the engine up to the compression stroke and to near TDC and the crank pulley timing mark is on timing tab near 10.
The upper timing sprocket has a timing mark/hole in it which lines up with the mark on the block stamped mark at the top just behind it.
The camshaft timing chain gears keyway is at about 2:30 o’clock and the timing marks on the gears are correctly positioned up near 10 and 11 o’clock. They chain has two darker links that are 5 positions apart (not 5.5) and meet the timing gear marks as they should.
One thing that is a bit odd to me is the magnetic pickup tab on the camshaft is not at its closest point to the camshaft position sensor (see the picture - cam sensor 1) (fyi; the gap between the sensor and the tab is .060 of an inch when they meet) Q; should the sensor and magnetic tab also meet and be in sync with all the other positions and gears or is it okay as the picture shows?
OH, one more thing. The replacement engine was from a car that was in an accident. It did have a broken motor mount with the front cover having plastic cracked. Some of the pieces were found in the cover. I thought maybe a piece of it fell down into the crankshaft timing chain sprocket and made the timing belt jump a gear/tooth but with everything lining up, I figured it was not affected.
QUESTIONS:
Is everything correct? Am I missing anything?
What else do I need to check before taking it to the shop?

The gas mileage is terrible and has poor performance, please help.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 AM

UPDATED DATA-------------------------------

Problems with our 2003 Tiburon……….
Trouble code: P0340 = CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
Replaced 03 Tiburon engine with one from an 03 Elantra engine (NON CVVT)
We purchased a Tiburon with a blown motor. My 17 yr old son and I have replaced the 2.0 engine in his 2003 Tiburon with a 2003 Elantra 2.0, both are non CVVT engines. The engine was an exact replacement. Everything went perfectly and the car is drivable, but from day one but we have had an issue. It lacks power as it warms up and we have a camshaft position sensor code p0340 and the gas mileage is terrible and has poor performance. I assume the sensor is the reason. After using a code reader to clear the check engine light the light comes back every time the engine is started the second time and/or after it has run for a few minutes. I have not ran it on a scope yet to see if it is reading correctly, I am trying everything else first at the advice of a shop after telling him everything you will read below.
NOTE: Prior to reading and looking at the pictures. All pictures in black and white are from the repair manuals showing the correct or incorrect data.

Here is what we have done..
First thing I did, I took the old sensor out of the old block and put it in. I got the same code….
Second thing I did, I bought a new sensor and tried it, no luck, same code…..
Then….
I removed the valve cover and timing cover.
On #1 cylinder, I brought the engine up to the compression stroke and to near TDC and the crank pulley timing mark is on timing tab near between 0 & 10 BTDC.
The upper timing sprocket has a timing mark/hole in it which lines up with the mark on the block stamped mark at the top just behind it.
The camshaft timing chain gears keyway is at about 2:30 o’clock and the timing marks on the gears are correctly positioned up near 10 and 11 o’clock. They chain has two darker links that are 5 positions apart (not 5.5 ) and meet the timing gear marks as they should.
One thing that is a bit odd to me is the magnetic pickup tab on the camshaft is not at its closest point to the camshaft position sensor (see the picture - cam sensor 1) (fyi; the gap between the sensor and the tab is .060 of an inch when they meet) Q; should the sensor and magnetic tab also meet and be in sync with all the other positions and gears or is it okay as the picture shows?
OH, one more thing. The replacement engine was from a car that was in an accident. It did have a broken motor mount with the front cover having plastic cracked. Some of the pieces were found in the cover. I thought maybe a piece of it fell down into the crankshaft timing chain sprocket and made the timing belt jump a gear/tooth but with everything lining up, I figured it was not affected.

Update: 10/25/10
Today we removed the cars computer and checked wiring for continuity from the sensor connector to the computer plug..
The camshaft position sensor has 3 wires. #1,2 & 3 as marked on the connector.
Wire #3 is BLACK and I believe is the GROUND wire which is #30 in the PCM. We did show continuity which indicates no breaks in the wire.
Wire #2 is BROWN and I believe the SENSOR INPUT wire which is #72 in the PCM. We did show continuity which indicates no breaks in the wire.
Wire #1 is ORANGE and I believe is the wire which shows POWER. We was able to chase the wire to fuse block and check continuity back to the sensor, the 10A fuse is good, but, I do not have a wiring schematic to see where the wire goes to from the fuse block under the hood.

Last edited by mybroketib; 10-26-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: pics
Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 AM

OK.......................

So, what next? What do I check?

I realize I could have 2 bad used sensors and the new one was bad too..

Again, I dont know where the wire goes after the SENSOR FUSE under the hood in the fuse box, but to what I read, "I believe", that piticular fuse actually feeds other sensors and if they work or im not getting any other check eng lights, its probaly good... ? Maybe?

Could the timing belt be the problem? what would it cause?
Could the timing chain be the problem? Seems good...
Could the PCM be Fried......

Anyone?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Has anyone answered this question? I'm having the same issue and haven't figured out what to do.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Default I figured it out... "with a comment....."

Thanks for asking. Yes I figured it out.
First off I want to express my frustration with nobody replying.
Not even any guesses.

So, heres what I did.
I was searching the internet looking at tons of ideas and stuff.
I found online this part:

Looking at the picture, I realized that the cam gear can be adjusted.
So I thought maybe it had jumped a tooth.
I remembered when I bought the engine, the motor mound and timing cover had been broke. There was pieces of the timing cover down in the bottom of the cover area.
What it appears to be, was, the crankshaft and belt slipped. The debris caused it to jump a tooth. The adjustable gear above made me realize that the engine cam can be adjusted and it was possible it was throwing me the p0340.
Ultimatly, we thought the tooth wnet foward, but it actually slipped backwards causing it to be advanced about 5 degrees.
So.... there it is..............
The damn timing belt caused me all that work.

In addition, by adjusting the belt by one tooth, it did move the camshaft position sensor closer to teh magnetic pickup on the intake cam.