General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is Hyundai a good car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:22 AM
Default Is Hyundai a good car?

Hi there,

I posted a message before regarding problems with my Matrix 2006 car but got no answer. I have been following discussions regarding different models of Hyundai and found that many people have problems with their cars even though the cars are brand new. This led me to the question in the subject. I REALLY wonder: is the car worth the money? Is there any other car maker whose products have problems even new?!

I'd like to get some replies.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Default RE: Is Hyundai a good car?

I've been so pleased with my Hyundai that I'm thinking about buying 2 more. I happen to own a 1992 Hyundai Excel with about 117,000 miles on it. I never had any type a mechanical problem with it, except the need to replace "wear and tear" parts. I even got 110,000 miles out of the original clutch (it's the old 4 speed manual transmission). Over the years the car has had all of it's scheduled maintenance sometimes toexcess. From the time it left the dealers lot the only oil that's been in the car has been Mobil 1 that was drained every 3,000 miles along with having the filter changed.

Speaking in more general terms and as one that works in the auotmotive repair industry at a local repair facility (not dealer selling a specific brand of car), most cars today are very reliable as long as you keep up with the maintenance. I'd let the question of how long you want to keep the car go a long way to deciding what type of car you want. Any car will last 3 to 5 years, but if you want a car that you're going to get 10 or more years out of, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Hyundai.

Adam

Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 PM

I agree with Adam's reply. I bought a Consumer Reports guide when I was hunting for a vehical (in my price range). I picked what I thought where my chooses and did my homework. Most vehicles will have something different in it, that makes you wonder why. Keep up with regular maintenance, and I think you will be happy. I love my sonata and the ride is great for a 2.4 liter engine.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:23 PM

If you read my other post, Engine Noise, you would know that my problem with car started from the very beginning. I went for the 1000 km and 10,000 km and told the dealer about the problem but they refused to admit it telling me that the abnormal sound is normal. However, after the 20,000 km I insisted for the car to be checked. I was right. They replaced a NON-RETURN valve. This didn't solve the problem completely though somewhat improved. I guess I'll go again after about 25,000 km to have it rechecked.

Please, read my other post, to have a good view of the problem.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 PM

That is why we, the owner, have to keep on the mechanics. When there is a problemand ithasn't been fixed. I have had simular problems with other models of cars. I call it working America. The buyer is the one that usually gets hurt because the dealers don't want to own up or find the problem. Because it will cost the dealer money whileyou areunderwarranty. How often does ANYTHING you buy break down or need repaired AFTER the warranty expires?

Old 03-20-2007, 02:42 AM

Steeler, you're right. It seems that the manufacturers have a good idea of the reliability of their products, so they set the interval of the false warranty to just before any problem starts. In order to deal with those people, dealers, you have to be persistent and armed with information. This is the beauty of the internet; you can find others with the same problems and read different suggestions which will help you when arguing for your car.

Anyway, I really meant the question in the subject; I mean doeas any other manufacturer has his cars out of factory with engine problems?!!! Has anyone read about this?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Take any make of a car and read the reviews by owners, not by the paid reviewers who obviously make a livinggetting paid for a favorable review. You wont find a car that is not without fault. Even the favored Toyotas fall from grace. I like to listen to car talk radio as I learn a lot and the callers are owners who call in, not paid reviewers. Look at Kia for instance and see howconsummerreports .com rates it. Poor, yet it has the red check mark below the picture that indicates highly recommended.

You are right about the car makers providing warrantees based on predictable longevity. But if they predict 10 yr/100k mi? Look at who else offers it. I know of no American cars (is there such a thing any more, Toyota is more American then Japanese and your Ford is more Mexican then American) that come with such warranty. I know Mitsubishi offers the same as Hyundai, but even Toyota only comes with 3yr/3600K mi. standard warranty. Yes , you can buy the extended warranty at acost. When I buy any product, car, hardware or home appliance, and they want to sell me the extended warranty I ask, " is this product such a crap that I need an extended warranty, if so maybe I shouldn't buy it". I know its just another product they are trying to sell, but I like to have fun with the sales clerk and see what they say.

You have to read a lot and do some research on your own to come to a conclusion. I did on the Hyundais and ended up with an 07 Entourage and 07 Santa Fe. I look at the history of the motor and trans thats been around a while. The 2.7 is not new and has been tried and true in other models such as the Triburon,although the CVVT on the 2.7 was notused onearly2.7s, and the 3.8 has been around in the Azera that is now in the Entourage.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:41 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself

Old 03-21-2007, 06:16 AM

Magy, you get your hand on a very important point; whom should people trust their information when one is going to buy a new product? Ofcourse, those claiming to be professional specialized sites, magazines, ...etc, seem to be doubtful. The best chance is when you have some friend with a previous ecperience with the same product, but this often hard to find.

Anyway, it seems I was wrong when I bought the car before first making a good survey about its cons and pros. This is because I didn't expect a brand new car to have any problem; should I?
This was my first experience with buying a new car, and I hope I'll do better if I'm going into it another time.

I liked you reply; it's neat and thoughtful. I'm also glad to find some activity on this subject especially and the forum in general.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: steelergalwv

That is why we, the owner, have to keep on the mechanics. When there is a problemand ithasn't been fixed. I have had simular problems with other models of cars. I call it working America. The buyer is the one that usually gets hurt because the dealers don't want to own up or find the problem. Because it will cost the dealer money whileyou areunderwarranty. How often does ANYTHING you buy break down or need repaired AFTER the warranty expires?
Sorry, old post. But I just wanted to say that repairs DO NOT cost the dealer money, in fact they make money on warrenty repairs. I work at a dealership as a tech...even though as a tech I don't favor warrenty repairs, because we get paid less...this not not cost the dealer anything. We (as most) techs are paid on a flat rate basis. The dealership does not loose money when I do a warrenty repair, they get paid, and make money to do warrenty repairs. Now, why Hyundai dealer don't "own-up" to problems is beyond me. We don't have that problem here. However, we do have many instances where we can not duplicate a customers complaint.

Quick Reply: Is Hyundai a good car?