General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hyundai to sell crate engines!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Former Site Vendor
Default Hyundai to sell crate engines!

From USA TODAY:

LAS VEGAS -- Detroit's auto industry still takes a bow when it comes to its most famous engines, whether it was Chevrolet 350-cubic-inch V-8, Ford 302 or Chrysler 440 Magnum. Now comes South Korea's Hyundai with hopes of joining the list.

Hyundai announced at the big SEMA aftermarket car parts trade show here that it is going to join other big makers in selling two of its more popular engines to enthusiasts who want something bigger or better under the hood.

They're called crate engines because, well, they used to come in a crate -- without a car. Detroit's Big 3 and aftermarket suppliers have had a nice little side business over the years selling whole engines to racers that they can drop in and go.

With Hyundai having had popular, youthful race-oriented Genesis coupe, executives figured there are now enough used cars out there that there could be some interest from hot-rodders.

"As more Genesis Coupes have entered the pre-owned enthusiast market since its 2009 launch, we've witnessed strong interest in leveraging the low cost potential of this rear-drive platform and its powertrains," says John Krafcik, CEO of Hyundai Motor America, in a statement. "Now, with our new crate engine program, Hyundai is making it more affordable for these same enthusiasts to modify their Genesis Coupe.

Some may be current Genesis owners who want more oomph out of their engines. Others may be "someone who doesn't have a Hyundai coupe and buys one," then starts itching to improve its performance, says Hyundai spokesman Jim Trainor in an interview after his presentation here.

While relatively few customers ever tinker with their engines, the move could help build credibility with the racer community -- with helps amp up the overall popularity of the brand.

Hyundai will start by selling two engines:

•The Lambda 3.8-liter, direct-injected V-6 is being priced at $9,000.

•The Theta 2-liter, four-cylinder engine will start at $4,500. It will be "turbo ready." Or buyers can elect to have the turbocharger, intercooler and ducting included for a total price of $6,000.

Story here.

It is about time!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Next step, performance tunes?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Former Site Vendor

Originally Posted by ogwab47
Next step, performance tunes?
One can hope!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 AM

Any info on the comparative specs of the various options?

I'm very impressed with the I4 engine in my Sonata...but a factory-packaged turbo version might be "just the ticket"...

(All the hot links in the original post lead to a VW commercial...not sure if I'm required to watch that to get to the info from Hyundai...)