General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

i20 interior front light often on on setting... going mad

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Default i20 interior front light often on on setting... going mad

Hi there

Over the past I've run down my battery a couple of times due to an interior front light being left on. Now often I think I must have used it to find something before getting out in the dark or maybe hit it with my handbag.. but it seems to be happening so often and today I swear I hadn't touched it.

Didn't notice it on when i got out, locked up, went in and my dad said I'd left it on AGAIN!!! I feel like I'm going mad... is it possible there a glitch? Why would the light just go on without me pushing the button?

Can anyone suggest anything or do I need to check myself before I wreck myself

Old 12-04-2019, 03:04 PM

We don't know exactly what year vehicle or model, but some of the newer vehicles have multiple modules to kinda control things for us.
When they function correctly, we don't even know they are there.
A body control module, if your vehicle has one, can be malfunctioning doing things like turning lights on and off without any instructions from the vehicle's owner.and sometimes drive the tech some also, so don't feel badly. it very likely is one of the electronic modules misbehaving. Sorry, but don't believe you are ready for the funny farm membership . A good electronics tech with the right scan tool probably will be able to pin down the module and the cause.
I know you didn't want to hear this, but it may require a trip to a Hyundai dealership.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
We don't know exactly what year vehicle or model, but some of the newer vehicles have multiple modules to kinda control things for us.
When they function correctly, we don't even know they are there.
A body control module, if your vehicle has one, can be malfunctioning doing things like turning lights on and off without any instructions from the vehicle's owner.and sometimes drive the tech some also, so don't feel badly. it very likely is one of the electronic modules misbehaving. Sorry, but don't believe you are ready for the funny farm membership . A good electronics tech with the right scan tool probably will be able to pin down the module and the cause.
I know you didn't want to hear this, but it may require a trip to a Hyundai dealership.
Heya, thanks. I have it serviced with Hyundai each year so will get them to run a diagnostic in March when it's due... and I guess keep an eye on it for now. Thank you. It's a 2013 active model. It's just so odd as the button is always pressed in when I don't remember having done it. Very spooky!

Old 12-04-2019, 07:21 PM

Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,you tell us !
Your vehicle most likely has push button start, yes/no ?
In the process of stopping the engine you might be preoccupied and hit that button ?
Where is the stop/start button in relation to the mystery lite button?

Old 01-04-2020, 11:10 AM

Heya, so I don't have push to start, it's all key.

It hasn't done it much recently, but there was a week of it happening almost every day. Will bring it up when it goes in for service.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:16 PM

The button is depressed or pushed in??
That would indicate mechanical pressing of the button
Which would require a person to do that
Are you swinging a bag around or hitting it with your elbow??
Hyundai will charge you a diagnostic fee if you ask for it to be looked at
You should just turn it off or take the bulb out unless you need it for night time travel

Old 01-06-2020, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
The button is depressed or pushed in??
That would indicate mechanical pressing of the button
Which would require a person to do that
Are you swinging a bag around or hitting it with your elbow??
Hyundai will charge you a diagnostic fee if you ask for it to be looked at
You should just turn it off or take the bulb out unless you need it for night time travel
Well I keep thinking it must be my bag but I don't think I'm swinging it about. It's pressed in which makes me think I must have but I never think I raise my bag that high. So odd. Removing the bulb is actually a great shout if it happens again. It won't hurt to ask. I've never been charged for that kind of stuff on my service plan. The garage I use is always pretty good with us as the whole family have Hyundai's, we have 4 atm.