General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Keeping car maintained for warrenty reasons, but...

Old 04-02-2007, 01:03 PM
Default Keeping car maintained for warrenty reasons, but...

Obviously I want to keep my "new" '04 Accent maintained correctly as it only has 19K miles on it, and I just bought it, and I have the factory warrenty until 60K, and an extended 50K warrenty. But...I'm a tech at a Lexus dealership and I obviuosly do my own work. I even get my oil for free.
So...how do I prove that I've maintained it when I can't show maintenance reciepts. About the only thing I get free is the oil, so I'll keep all other reciepts...but still????

Old 04-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Keeping car maintained for warrenty reasons, but...

That should be good enough. In my own records, I note which oil I use but I only keep reciepts for the filters. Technically just a hand-written record is enough I think, but anything that backs it up is gravy.

And honestly from what I've heard, major components (engine, trans) just don't die if they are maintained correctly. A lot of people buy cars with the long warranty, but are dismayed that they have to do a bunch of maintenance to keep the warranty intact. The fact is that the maintenance *should* be done, and if it is, the car lasts a long time.

My last car was a Ford Aspire (built by Kia), and all I did was regular maintenance and it gave me almost no problems whatsoever for over 100,000 miles.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Default RE: Keeping car maintained for warrenty reasons, but...

Thanks. That's what I'm hoping for...minimal need for warrenty. But it's nice to have it.
This is the newest car I ever had. All my other cars had 100K + miles on them, and most all of them went to the junk yard with bad transmissions, the tranny is my main concern.
Never had a car with this low miles