General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Keyless remote: horn beep/panic button

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Default Keyless remote: horn beep/panic button

Hi, I posted this in the Elantra forum and haven't had any responses there. I think this may be a better place to post it.

Twoquestions regarding the keyless remote:

1. I love my 2007 Elantra. It is a great carbut I do not like the horn beep that confirms I locked my car (remotely) because it is so loud.

My neighbors can tell when I get in ("so, you got home at 3:00 last night..."). It is annoying to me. This is programmable in other cars, I know, but haven't found anything in the manual.

2. And while I am on the keyless remote, is there anyway to disable the panic alarm? I find it sensitive and I have hit it a few times on accident.

Thanks a lot,
Jeff

Old 05-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Keyless remote: horn beep/panic button

I suspect the reason no one responded is that no one has figured it out yet. My suspicion is that you cannot disable it. The alarm function is integral to the ETACS on older Elantras and there isn't really wa way to disable it unless you disconnect the siren. On the new model, I think that is controlled by the BCU (Body Control Unit) which monitors and controls many of the car's functions. My understanding is that the new unit is not very mod-friendly, unfortunately.

Part of the problem, though, is that people haven't learned all the ins and outs of the system. If I get a chance I'll look at the schematics and see if anything jumps out. My suspicion is that in disabling the confirmation beep you'll also disable the alarm beeping which is probably not something you want.

My son's Cutlass beeps like that; we always know when he gets home!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM

I have a 2005 Tiburon GT. The alarm system seemingly has a mind of its own and goes off during the day for no reason..I have only owned the car a few days, but it has been very windy and I figured the wind was causing it...I cant figure out how to disable or even make it stop honking! Help!!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:54 AM

Try pushing the lock button on your remote with the door open and then close the door, this works on our Sonata's. The lights just flash after we close the doors, arming the alarm silently.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not as familiar with Tiburons, but in my experience with Elantras, most of the time when the alarm randomly goes off it's because of the hood switch.

Check to make sure your hood switch (right fender, just forward of the strut tower) is being pressed. One way to check it is to unplug the switch; I think the switch is open when the hood is closed, so if you disconncect the switch it will be the same as the hood being closed. The switch is in the upper right corner of this picture. The arrow points to the switch connector; the switch itself that contacts the hood is just under the word "SWITCH".

Old 05-11-2007, 12:34 PM

if i get this right, with the door open, you hit "lock" and than close it? well you do have to get out of the car and close the door each time so hitting lock while the door is open is pretty easy. but what if i have something in my hands? like a package or something? hitting lock with the remote and not hearing the horn is better.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:50 PM

I want the exactly the opposite to happen on my elantra 2007. I just bought a used, used to be a rental car. It doesn't make any honk when I use remote lock, so it's hard to find my car when I go shopping. I would like to enable the sound, but nothing on the manual. I'll probably go see the dealer sometime.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: hp79

I want the exactly the opposite to happen on my elantra 2007. I just bought a used, used to be a rental car. It doesn't make any honk when I use remote lock, so it's hard to find my car when I go shopping. I would like to enable the sound, but nothing on the manual. I'll probably go see the dealer sometime.
Try pressing the lock button twice. My '06 Hyundai Tucson and '06 Kia Sedona will honk on the second press. Also, you can push the panic button on your remote to have the car flash the lights and honk the horn to find your car.