General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NOISEY TAPPES HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Default NOISEY TAPPES HELP

Dude i am newto this forum stuff so here goes myengine is making the worst noise sounds like a kid with empty cap gun. could someone please tell me how to tighten the tappets its a1996 exel twin cam.

please help

Old 01-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Default RE: NOISEY TAPPES HELP

Hi your problem is either one of two things, you engine oil level is very low or you need a oil and filter change, you can use a good brand of engine oil like say ,QUAKER STATE when you do that you need to go for a run with the vehicle for let say 20 miles the the tappet noise will gradually stop. What most hyundai vehicles carry is what is known as hydraulic tappete and whenever the viscosity in the oil reduces in other words the oil get thin you will get that noise , if you oil is low just top it up to the required level.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Default RE: NOISEY TAPPES HELP

Not sure the type of motor in the 96 exel. Do you know if it has a timing belt, external, or the cams are internally chain driven. If chain drive, can it be chain rattling and the tensioner needs to be looked at. If you can find one, get a good manual, shop manual would be the best although they are costly.

A dealer may tell you which it is. My recent 07 SantaFe with the 2.7 V6 was said to have a timing chain by the dealer. It was obvious after a quick glance that it had a timing belt. So dont take their word all the time. Your maintenance book will tell you as well as it indicates when to change a belt. Chains dont need regular change.