General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear Break Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Default Rear Break Sticking

Ok I am trying to help work on my sister's car that just started having problems with her rear passanger tire. It is an 03 tiburon but I do not know the trim level, I know it has the DOHC, not the V6and is not the GT. Also has leather seats and black interior. I'm just trying to give the most info on it so someone might be able to guess the trim level becauseI am unaware of the options that came with it. It also has rear disk breaks.

The symptoms are that it is only the rear passanger tire and it will stick, let go, stick, let go, and so on. I have tried pumping the e-break up and down and it does not help. She said that a few days ago she tried to pull the e-break up and it would not go as far as it usually does but it will again now. It is also probably around 30 degrees outside so I think the cold might have something to do with it but I am not sure. Anyone have any ideas on what I should check first?

Old 12-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rear Break Sticking

I know on an Elantra forum people have complained that after a few winters the seals on the parking brake cables can deteriorate and water gets into the cables. Add a little rust and they can freeze up pretty good. Your sister's car may have the same problem. If it has less than 5 years/60,000 miles, this may be something that a dealer will fix under warranty. Otherwise, you can probably change out the cables yourself.

There is also an issue with Elantra rear calipers that stick sometimes. Not sure if it is an issue on Tibs. Make sure the brake pads can slide in their guides. On some Elantras, the little guide ears on the pads need to be filed down a bit to get them to slide easily.