General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rough idle and fuel smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Default Rough idle and fuel smoke!

A couple weekends ago i tried to puta cold air pipe on my'95 Accent,with a k&n cone filter. I removed the factory air box careful not to disrupt the air temp sensor and installed the pipe.I started the car and wala', it ran like crap. i took everything back off and put it back to stock and it still won't run right. i thought that maybe i gave it too much air and threw a code, but there is no check engine light! it starts fine but won't idle constant and when you give it gas, you can smell rotten eggs and fuel from the smoke coming out the tail pipe, which never happened before. I disconnected the battery to try to reset things but no go. I replaced the plugs and wires, the throttle position sensor, the air temp sensor and the pcv valve. still nothing. I can't find a code scanner for anything 95, and i don't want to have to take it to a dealer. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:47 AM
Default RE: Rough idle and fuel smoke!

Hey jbragg923Justin,

sorry to hear it has not gone well for the k&n cone !!

It sounds like you might have knocked something loose along the way, like a connector to a sensor or
even a vacuum line. An open vacuum line (like the one that controls EGR valve) can cause the car to run very roughly.
(not sure about the odor).

Maybe get a buddy to help retrace your steps, take it all down again and double check it all.

Bet you will find your problem!

ccacioppo