General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Tail lights and dash lights won’t come on

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 08:21 PM
Default Tail lights and dash lights won’t come on

2006 Hyundai Sonata
The brake lights work fine, the head lights turn on normally. The car has been sitting out in my grandparents yard for a while now, when he parked it everything worked fine including the power windows witch also won’t work. My main concern right now is my tail lights will not come on and the dash lights don’t come on either. Has anyone had a similar problem or may know a solution?
-btw I checked the fuses and replaced and it hasn’t changed

Last edited by jrhod03; 01-27-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:36 AM

There is supposed to be a 20 amp fuse for the tail lights.
Check with your owner's manual if that fuse is located in the fuse panel inside the vehicle or in the fuse panel in the engine compartment.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:00 PM

How did you check the fuses? Visually or electrically?
Did you use a test light?
Neg clip to ground (make sure good ground by testing on pos battery post)
Test light probe to the two test points on the fuse
One above each leg of fuse
If both light up then fuse is good
If only one side lights up then fuse is blown
If no lights at all then no power to fuse
Check relays

Old 01-29-2021, 10:49 AM

Before getting involved on a wild goose chase, you should be aware there will be some fuses that will not show any power to them unless the key is in the on position..

Old 01-31-2021, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
Before getting involved on a wild goose chase, you should be aware there will be some fuses that will not show any power to them unless the key is in the on position..
I checked all the fuses wnd they looked fine, I even replaced them with new ones to be sure. The key was in the on position each time I tested

Old 01-31-2021, 08:31 PM

I’m starting to think it may be time to replace the BCM, could that solve my problem or am I reaching

Old 02-01-2021, 06:12 AM

Replacing good parts can get expensive and disappointing. Before going out on a limb, best to confirm BCM is the problem,The cost to verify probably will be less than the cost of a new BCM.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:08 AM

Replacing good parts can get expensive and disappointing. Before going out on a limb, best to confirm BCM is the problem,The cost to verify probably will be less than the cost of a new BCM.
where can I get it tested at?

Old 02-02-2021, 03:35 PM

Unfortunately , a BCM is not like some electrical components that you run a fast go/no go check.
A capable scan tool, knowing how to use it and what to look for are some requirements to determine if it may have a problem. This is out of the realm of many shops and you might do better if you had a dealership or a shop with a good tech check this out.
If it worked alright before, but just became problematic after setting around, I seriously doubt the BCM is the problem. I have been wrong before, but until we check for poor connections with the lighting system and ground connections , it could be something that became corroded from just setting.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:56 PM

Unfortunately , a BCM is not like some electrical components that you run a fast go/no go check.
A capable scan tool, knowing how to use it and what to look for are some requirements to determine if it may have a problem. This is out of the realm of many shops and you might do better if you had a dealership or a shop with a good tech check this out.
If it worked alright before, but just became problematic after setting around, I seriously doubt the BCM is the problem. I have been wrong before, but until we check for poor connections with the lighting system and ground connections , it could be something that became corroded from just setting.
alright, do you know what I could check for that? The power windows won’t work and when you turn on the headlights the taillights and dash lights don’t come on. Also I noticed the door chimes aren’t there either. sorry for all the questions I’m no mechanic and am still new to it all and learning.

Quick Reply: Tail lights and dash lights won’t come on