General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing chain issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Default Timing chain issues.

Hey all, about a year or two ago my timing chain went out on my 2012 genesis coupe 2.0t with 50k miles.
the error codes were P0016 and P0017 I believe. It was the cam shaft crank shaft correlation. Turns out it was actually my timing chain. It broke and bent a valve.
well fast forward it was fixed but I think the mistimed it or something. I still get the error codes and I have some issues with it.
Here are a few of the most concerning issues:
1. Car vibrates pretty badly when idling (especially with the ac on)
2. Car feels very sluggish. I can floor when I'm on interstate and it feels like it takes a solid 2 minutes to build up speed (this is mainly when I am already at like 65+mph)
3. Sometimes after driving on interstate when I come to a stop and try to accelerate at a red light on the off ramp the car does not want to take off at all. Almost sounds like it's not getting fuels and is about to stall or something.
4. This is on is hard to explain so bare with me. So when I'm driving and accelerating through gears sometimes it sounds like it is never turning over to the next gear. [You know when you rev and you hear the nerrrrrrr (drop tone) nerrrr] well it never hits the second part almost like if I were grinding out 2nd in a manual or something.

Sorry for the long and possibly rambling post. This is starting to bother me and I really want to get this fixed before this turns into a major problem that cost too much to fix. Also the car still only has 80k miles.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:07 PM

From the symptoms you describe , There is a good possibility timing is off. It could only be by one tooth, but that is enough to affect performance.
Somebody needs to get in there and do the whole timing sequence over again.