General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Transmission Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Default Transmission Question

I just did a tune up at home, oil change, spark plugs, and topped off the tranny fluid.
Everything runs great except my transmission is pulling very hard in low gears and occasionally smokes when started.
The guy at Oriley's knew exactly which fluid I needed, or was very convincing of his knowledge.
So I'm pretty sure I got the right stuff. Could this be from over filling? I'm going to go get it completely changed is that the right move?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Did you use SP-III fluid? If not, you may have just ruined your trans.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Yeah, I did have the right stuff. Took it in to get the fluid changed and I was low about a quart and a half even after topping it off. Guess I've got a leak somewhere but I haven't seen any red spots under the car.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM
Default '05 Accent Problems

Just a few weeks ago I did a tune up on my '05 Accent (changed oil, spark plugs, and changed trany fluid) and seems to have made some things worse.

The new spark plugs are awesome, my car starts better than before.

That's about all that's worked out right though.

Now, usually on the first start of the day, I blow a ton of smoke out of my exhaust. This never happened before. I am pretty certain I have an oil leak somewhere, but nothing too sever. What could cause this?

After topping of my trans fluid I soon discovered I've got a leak somewhere and had the fluid drained and refilled completely. That seemed to help a jerky transmission but hasn't lasted, so I haven't been seeing any red fluid on the ground under my car, but my trans is acting like its low on fluid again.Are Accents prone to leak/burn trans fluid without visual signs? Is that the smoke that's coming out my exhaust?

I am only curious to see if anyone has experienced similar things with their Accent or any Hyundai for that matter. I'm no mechanic by any means, and plan to have someone give it an inspection to see what is causing all this grief. Before I do, any suggestions?

My car is only worth about $2,000 because of an accident about a year ago and has almost 150k miles on it. Even though this has been an excellent car maybe I should cut my losses and invest in something else?