Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2000 Hyundai Accent - OBDII port not working - Engine light on - Help Please?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 04:57 AM
Default 2000 Hyundai Accent - OBDII port not working - Engine light on - Help Please?

So I just got a (mostly) running 2000 Hyundai Accent 5 speed on Saturday the 4th, had it on the road since Monday the 6th. Car ran like a dog, I mean utterly terrible, but I traded my 1974 GMC for it because the driveshaft almost fell out of that truck when the center bearing went, and after a laundry list of parts I'd thrown at that truck, I was done. I'll do a "Hey, I exist as a Hyundai owner now" thread later. Side note, I hated this car when I first got it because it ran like a dog, since I've replaced the spark plug wires, I've been having a blast.

So anyway, long story short, I was getting a whole mess of codes with the car, until I replaced the spark plug wires, then I got a code for Misfire on Cylinder 1.. And now suddenly my OBDII port won't work with any scanner. Tried my Bluetooth scanner, took it to O'reily's and autozone. Checked a ton of fuses but I can't seem to find a single dead fuse. Any help on how to diagnose this would be nice 'cause the car still has a wicked stumble at times and I'm just relearning to drive a stick after almost 10 years so sometimes when the car bucks I stall it. Also I'm only getting about 19 miles to the gallon but that's probably the way I drive more than anything. I know the MAF or an 02 sensor could cause this, but I can't plug it in to see what's wrong sooooo, I'm hitting my head on a wall right now. Can I diagnose the 02 or MAF with just a multimeter? I haven't had time to look into this because I missed 3 days of work where my truck tried to rid its self of it's own drive shaft, and I've been running the ***** off this poor little Hyundai.

The following has been replaced:

Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Fuel Filter (According to previous owner)
Air filter (Previous owner)

Things I know need to be replaced:

Exhaust manifold gasket

Old 01-09-2020, 10:44 PM

Look at data link connector with multi-meter
Pin 16 is constant 12 volts
Pin 4 is chassis ground
Following there are three pairs of signals
pin 15 and 7
pin 14 and 6
pin 10 and 2

Look at the connector to see if pins are bent
They might not be making good contact

Mis-fire on cylinder 1 would not be the MAF or the O2 sensors as these should affect all cylinders
I would take a wild guess and say vacuum leak on cylinder 1 in-take manifold gasket
Or spark plug wire is shorting. swap plug wires or spray water on wire to see if it gets worse.
Good luck

Old 01-11-2020, 06:34 PM

I got both issued sorted, the fuse that provides power to the OBD2 port was heavily corroded, also misfire on cylinder one was due to a bad spark plug, which was funny 'cause they where supposedly replaced by the previous owner. Car is running great now, no issues.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the update