Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2001 accent- timing belt/ do water pump at same time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Question 2001 accent- timing belt/ do water pump at same time?

Hello. I am the original owner of a 2001 accent hatchback. I just recently hit 60k and since 2011 my spouse has done all of the minor work to maintain the car. Minor belts, brakes, etc. However since we just hit 60 k we need to do the timing belt, so he has an offer from a certified mechanic from his trucking job who has offered to do it so it is done right. My question is should we do the water pump at the same time? We have never had any major mechanical issues with the car, and I obviously I do not do much driving..lol. I need the car to be reliable( 2 small kids need to get back and fortth to school and local errands) but not sure if we should change water pump if there is nothing wrong with it.
Thank you in advance.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

While there is no reason to change the pump if it's not leaking, many people do because half the job of replacing the pump has to be done to change the timing belt. Many people do it as a precaution as it will be cheaper to do both at once than to do them separately. So it comes down to what you want. Spend a little more now or risk the pump lasting until you sell the car or change the belt again at 120k miles.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:15 AM

Thank you. I guess I am just in the mindset that if its not broke leave it alone. And the mechanic is dong it for free. I don't want to take advantage of him and do the pump if it is not broke. But waiting another 60k to do it sounds risky. I think I will just insist that he takes some money for the job, even though he does not want any and go ahead and to the pump.
People always ask me why I don't get a newer car. Had a fender bender a few years back, and backed into a couple of things over the years so scratches on the rear bumper. But the car runs so good and has low miles for a 2001. I keep telling my 8 year old that it will be his first car. Can not wait to teach him to drive stick shift. : )