Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2003 Accent has spark,fuel and air flow but will not start ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Default 2003 Accent has spark,fuel and air flow but will not start ?

Hello, I write this question but premise with how the problem started. The car is a 2003 Accent, 1.6lengine, with 140k on the odometer. The radiator hose blew and I mean blew off right at the upper inlet above the ignition coil. The engine compartment was quite saturated with radiator fluid and the farthest right spark plug wire had been blown off, possibly from a chunk of the hose. The car drove fine for after replacing the hose for about 3 hours. Then there was a loss of power, bucking when flooring the gas pedal. The car would not go above 40 mph with extreme loss of power and an electrical smell in the cabin. Upon inspecting the engine compartment found the ignition coil was cracked and no spark to one side. Replaced with new ignition coil and still the same problem, no power. I then replaced the CPU with used identical numbered CPU. I found that the CPU had a melted relay/capacitor . Still same problem no power. During the test drives I found that the catalytic converter had plugged. Replaced with non clogged converter. I then took the car to a dealer and had the CPU reprogrammed drove the car for an hour with same results, no power. When I turned the car off after this drive the car would not start! I towed it back to the dealer and was told that the car has spark, fuel delivery and air flow. Recommendation was to work on timing next? I have also replaced the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. Those were replaced after reading and listening to others with more knowledge. Help if you can! I am not sure how to time and where to get information on how to time this vehicle. Any and all help we be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:16 PM

I would first start by checking all the fuses
After that, a visual inspection of the wiring harnesses
Looking for heat and vibration areas which could chaff the wires
Take an air pressure hose and blow out the electrical connectors

If nothing is found to cause the issue
The last thing to do is timing

Youtube video on changing timing belt Part 1
The other parts you can look for

Good luck with that