Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2003 Accent performance change

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by silvertones
Fuel filter isn't under the seat.
He means that the access to the filter is under the rear seat. The filter is attached to the fuel pump in the fuel tank. You remove the rear seat, then remove a panel to access the tank, pump and filter.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM

OK. That sounds like a good chance to blow myself up!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Thank you Nova! He's right. Once the seat is out there's a small rectangular panel you have to lift up, and you'll find the filter sitting in a horizontal orientation on top of the fuel tank. Very easy to get to and change. I apologize for not including that description.

Thanks for the clarification Nova.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Another note Silvertones. My filter came with instructions on how to safely change ... I'm not sure if yours will or not. I think in my case they had be disconnect the wiring harness from the fuel pump, then start and run the car until all of the fuel was out of the filter and line to the engine. Then when I disconnected the filter it had very little fuel in the filter or lines. I had a hand towel with me to mop up the few drops that did come out.

Nova, any other tips?

Old 07-02-2012, 12:43 PM

I saw that plate. Has 2 wires on it as well. Never thought to lift up on it. Duh. I'll give it a look.
Thanks folks.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by ritchep
Another note Silvertones. My filter came with instructions on how to safely change ... I'm not sure if yours will or not. I think in my case they had be disconnect the wiring harness from the fuel pump, then start and run the car until all of the fuel was out of the filter and line to the engine. Then when I disconnected the filter it had very little fuel in the filter or lines. I had a hand towel with me to mop up the few drops that did come out.

Nova, any other tips?
Yes I read about that.
Now the plate was sort of stuck down with some sticky sealer. I see the filter in it's spring bracket BUT those plastic connectors sort of scare me. Iwill be totally screwed if one breaks. Do they come apart easy? Do they break easy?I'm mechanically capable but at 60 sometimes I can't see as well as I need. Just trying to be cautious.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:18 PM

Well I got it changed. Just for anyone out there needing to change there's be carefull. Getting the pressure in the lines down is a little tricky. You have to get everything exposed, start the car, then pull the wire from the fuel pump. Hold the acceleratot to the floor untill the car dies. THEN crank the engine over for about 15 seconds or so. Now it's safe to pull the connectors. They came off very easy. Still didn't a difference though. The other day when I turned on the AC it made the belts squeal. I think the compressor is starting to have issues.