Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2003 Accent Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Default 2003 Accent Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

I'm mechanically competent. That's why I'm here.
I need to replace the gasket as it's weaping oil. 173,000 miles so expected. I purchased the best gasket they had. It's a Fel-pro Perma-dry.
What kind of trouble will I get into if any. Will this gasket stay in place while I install it?
Any hints as to technique? My problem is once I take the car apart I have no way to get anywhere for additional supplies. I have to get it right the first time.
Thanks for any help.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by silvertones
I need to replace the gasket as it's weaping oil. 173,000 miles so expected. I purchased the best gasket they had. It's a Fel-pro Perma-dry.
What kind of trouble will I get into if any. Will this gasket stay in place while I install it?
Any hints as to technique? My problem is once I take the car apart I have no way to get anywhere for additional supplies. I have to get it right the first time.
Thanks for any help.
Hey Silvertones,

I'm a mechanically competent garage mechanic too. I replaced the valve cover gasket on my '02 Accent when I hit 130K miles. It was weeping oil onto the exhaust header, giving it a faint "oil" smell.

I don't think you'll have any problems. The cover is easy to take off, and the gasket sits nicely into a retaining groove. Just make sure the gasket is fully and evenly seated in the groove. I had to work mine around with my fingers. Also, be sure to torque the cover bolts evenly, and to correct specs. I'm not sure what the torque spec is, but I'm sure a dealer could tell you. If you don't have a torque wrench, borrow one.

My '02 has 160,000 miles, still going strong.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info.Really appreciated. That's exactly what mine is doing. Sounds like it sits in a groove on the head? That would make life easy. I don't have a torque but will see if I can borrow one however SUPPOSEDLY the Fel-Pro Perma-Dry has metal spacers imbedded into the rubber at each bolt hole so that it can't be over torqued. Just start at the center and work your way out.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM

Went great. The gasket sits in a groove in the cover BTW. Clean, clean clean first.
The old gasket was like a piece of plastic it was so brittle. The fel-pro pema-dry is the one to get fits perfect and comes with the plug tube seals as well. They were also as hard as plastic.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:05 PM

Went great. The gasket sits in a groove in the cover BTW. Clean, clean clean first.
The old gasket was like a piece of plastic it was so brittle. The fel-pro pema-dry is the one to get fits perfect and comes with the plug tube seals as well. They were also as hard as plastic.
Hey Silver, You're right ... the groove was in the cover. My old gasket was just like yours, it snapped it was so brittle. You're a smarter guy than me though using the Feltpro gasket. I went back with an OEM gasket, which will probably get brittle with time. I'm glad your job went well and hope you have many more miles in your Hyundai. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ritchep
Hey Silver, You're right ... the groove was in the cover. My old gasket was just like yours, it snapped it was so brittle. You're a smarter guy than me though using the Feltpro gasket. I went back with an OEM gasket, which will probably get brittle with time. I'm glad your job went well and hope you have many more miles in your Hyundai. Good luck.
BTW, where did you purchase your fel pro gasket?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Default torque valve cover bolts

Thanks for any help.

2000 through 2005 models:
SOHC........... 132 to 180 in-lbs.
DOHC........... 72 to 84 in-lbs. NOT FT-LBS.!!!
2006 and later models... 70 to 86 in-lbs.